Mangia!

Yesterday Colin went into the kitchen, walked over and picked up the (rather large) container of doggy treats that I keep on a shelf.  The shelf is at eye level for Colin, so he had to work to stretch and pick it up, but he did so carefully, placing the bin in the middle of the kitchen floor.  He then picked up the other box of treats, nearly dropping it because it was open and the box was slightly ripped.  He put it down, reset, and picked it up again carrying it over to Sydney who was laying in the front hallway.

He reached his arm into the box, but was unsuccessful in grabbing anything and became a bit frustrated.  I was curious as to what he was doing.  He's only 15 months old, and typically jams everything into his mouth, so I assumed he was planning to eat the dog treats.

Let me digress for a moment.  The box of treats that Colin grabbed is something I picked up specifically for our trip to DC a few weeks back.  This is not a treat we always have around, and I rarely give Sydney treats anyway.  We do give her marrow bones to gnaw on, almost every night, but not a lot of treats.  So it isn't as if Colin is accustomed to seeing me grab these treats for Syd all the time... 'cause that just doesn't happen.  I'd actually forgotten they were even over there until Colin grabbed them.

Well, I handed Colin one of the treats, just to see what he'd do, and was poised to grab his hand before he ate it.  But he didn't.  He tried to feed it to Sydney, who (oddly) refused to take it.  She walked away and he followed her, trying repeatedly to give the treat to her and growing increasingly frustrated that she wouldn't take it!

I felt so bad for Colin that I cut a piece of a meaty-treat and gave that to him.  (I fully expected that he might try to eat it himself, but wanted to see what happened anyway.)  As soon as I gave the slice to Colin he held out his hand offering the morsel to Sydney who greedily accepted the new treat.  A giant grin spread across his face and he clapped his hands with glee, overjoyed that he had fed the dog.

Caesar Milan, watch out!  I think you may have competition in a few years.

Comments

Popular Posts