...with some fava beans and a nice chianti

Last night after dinner H and I sat on the sofa with Colin, playing with him to wear him down enough that he could (finally) fall asleep.  Colin kept crawling, flipping and flopping back and forth between the two of us.  The kids is an Olympic hopeful for the Nestea Plunge (if only they had that event!).  He was having such a blast, and seemed to be starting to get just a wee bit tired.  Then...

CHOMP!

The little booger bit me, hard, on my right shoulder.  I shouted "OUCH" and immediately got up and walked away.  Not because I was angry - I did it so he would know there is a consequence to his actions.  He sat next to his father, looking at me in utter shock.  Playtime was done - he just looked at me, reaching toward me, and sobbed.  The crying and misery continued unabated for roughly 5 minutes.

During this time I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror checking for blood.  He didn't break the skin, but there was a nasty red welt.  When I came back into the living room I again sat in the chair, and the sobbing continued.  Keep in mind that I was less than 5 feet away from H and Colin.  I didn't leave the room, or go upstairs, or leave the house.  I didn't yell at him, or pull his hair, or put him in time out.  I simply moved a few feet away.  But to Colin, who wanted both parents with him, this was a punishment beyond endurance.

After about 5 minutes Daddy, Mr. Tough-guy (HA HA HA), asked me to please come back to the sofa.  That poor Colin had had enough, and he was just a little guy, and didn't understand what he did was wrong.  (And I'm the one with the reputation as the family mush-ball? Really???)

I walked over and sat on the sofa next to my boys.  Colin immediately crawled into my lap, threw his arms around my shoulders, sighed loudly, put his head down and (finally!) fell asleep.  Calamity resolved, disaster averted, meltdown terminated.  Today I have a nasty welt/bruise on my shoulder, but hopefully the no-access-to-mommy consequences will curb his biting.  Soon.  If not I might have to invest in a muzzle.

Comments

Popular Posts