Things that make you say... hmmm....

Last night H and I were playing/wrestling with Colin (part of his new bedtime routine, designed to tire our Energizer Bunny and help him off to the Land of Nod).  After about a half hour of high-energy roughhousing Colin was finally starting to wind down, showing small signs of fatigue.  He wasn't ready to go to sleep just yet, but we were getting closer.

Eventually he put his head down, snuggled up to me, and reached for my hair.  This is very normal for him - he holds my hair while he is nursing, while he is napping, pets my hair when I hold him... he's a "hair" kinda kid.  I'm accustomed to it, and frankly find it rather soothing and enjoyable.  (Unless he's yanking on my hair - that's no so soothing, although now that I've started pulling his hair back he's figuring out that hair-pulling isn't so fun.)  But I digress.  Back to Admiral Odd.

So as our little guy was winding down he grabbed a lock of my hair. Normal.  He held it in his hand.  Normal.  He stuck it in his mouth and sucked on it.  NOT normal.  What the heck was the kid doing?!?  H immediately looked at me, and (quietly so as to not rile the boy) asked exactly that - "What is he doing???" to which my reply was "I have no idea - this is a first."

I thought for sure that it was some sort of bizarre one-time behavior, but a moment later he did it again.

I haven't a clue what prompted this, why he did it, or if it will continue.  But it certainly was unusual!


As a side note, also hair-related: this past weekend Colin started trying to brush his own hair.  Until now he's always just viewed his brush as a chew-toy, but no longer.  Now if I hand him the brush he'll still chew on it, but he also makes an effort to run the bristles across his head, looking to me with a giant grin on his face because he's so proud of his new skill.

This child is nothing if not his father's son!  I'm just waiting for the day when he asks for his own bottle of mousse.

Comments

Popular Posts