Changing Tastes

For the past couple of days Colin hasn't had his usual appetite.  I'm chalking the hunger strike up to teething, since the past two nights he woke up in the wee hours of the morning, howling and miserable.  The teething tablets I gave him seemed to provide a degree of relief (enough that he could get back to sleep), but there's no doubt in my mind what's going on. 

I know there's one lower tooth that is mostly in, and another upper tooth that hasn't broken through yet, but he keeps jamming his hand waaay back into his mouth on the other side, so I'm thinking there's another mystery tooth (or two?) trying to make an appearance.

Then the other night there was the weird hair-sucking... and today at lunch...

Colin became fascinated with my earring.  It is a small, garnet earring on a post, with a little gold visible.  He couldn't get enough of it.  He looked, and looked and looked.  Then he pointed with one hand, and then with the other.  He touched it.  Then... he tried to eat it.  I laughed - I couldn't help it.  But then he wouldn't stop - he kept trying to gnaw on my ear!!!!  And, of course, during the process Colin's teacher noticed that I only had one earring in - at first she thought it might have fallen out, but I assured her that it was more likely that I just got distracted and only put one in.

Meanwhile his teachers were looking on, highly amused at my incredibly odd son.  I eventually distracted him, and he stopped, but I can't help but wonder what the heck he thought he was doing.

(And for the record, I was right.  When I got home the other earring was sitting, safe and sound, in my jewelry box.  During my chaotic morning flurry I never put it in.  Ahhh... the joys of motherhood.  Perhaps I'll start a new trend - all the cool moms will be wearing only one earring next season.  HA!)

Comments

Popular Posts