Lost

Each day on the way to school/work Colin and I pass a number of open fields and retaining basins where flocks of ducks and geese tend to gather.  Sometimes they're there, sometimes they aren't, but every day we look for them.  We exclaim excitedly about how many there are.  If they're not there we discuss where they might be (on a walk, riding in an electric car, at home, at school...).  If they're flying it is a big discussion about what they're doing, where they're going, how many there are, etc.

And although we pass the same fields on the way home, Colin never asks about the geese at night.    Instead he asks where the sun is and where the moon is.  Where's the sun, Mommy?  Behind the clouds?  The sun went night-night?  Where's the moon, Mommy?  Where's the mooon?  I can't see it!  Is it behind the trees?  Where'd it go?

Last night, however, Colin threw a wrench into the routine.

He looked at one of the open fields and asked where the geese were.  I gave one of my standard responses for situations where Colin is looking for something that we aren't going to find (Maybe they went for a ride in an electric car?) but he wasn't on board with that and sternly corrected me.  "No, Mommy.  They're gone.  I lost them."

Me: Well, let's look for them!  Let's see if we can find them.
       (This typically works with Colin, and he'll happily begin a new hunt. Not today.)
C: No, we can't find them.  They're lost.  I lost them.
Me: I'm sure we can find them - let's look.
C: (in a very sad little voice) No, I lost them....  I'm so sad.

That's where I had to stop, because I was at risk of laughing.  I managed to keep it to a twisted smile which I covered with my hand (I was driving, but Colin is an expert at using mirrors and I know he checks on me via the rear-view mirror).  It was just too ridiculous - the kid was seriously sad because he, personally, had apparently misplaced a large flock of Canadian geese, and nothing I said was going to help.

I seriously never know what to expect next!

Comments

Popular Posts