Aargh!

The other day I went to Target with the boys to pick up a few household items.  Ryan was in the seat, and Colin was in the  basket of the cart.  I was looking down at something (some gift bags, I think) when Colin excitedly (and loudly) exclaimed... "Mommy... a PIRATE!"

I looked up and saw (no joking) a man with a black patch over one eye, who clearly was not amused by this comment.  (Yes, he definitely heard.)

I desperately tried to suppress the laughter that was bubbling up, and quickly turned the cart onto the next aisle to escape the situation, but Colin wouldn't have it.  He kept trying to make sure I didn't miss it... "Mommy - a pirate. A PIRATE!!!  Did you see him?  Did you?  A pirate mommy, a PIRATE!"

Yes, Colin.  I saw him, but I don't think that was really a pirate.
Yes it was, Mommy... did you see him?  A pirate, mommy... a PIRATE!  Where's the pirate, mommy?  Can we go see him?  Where did he go?

The piratical obsession continued for the remainder of our shopping trip.  And while I suppose I should be at least a little embarrassed, I was just amused at the timing.  A few weeks back Colin even really understand what a pirate was.  A year from now he might have a little more restraint.  But we hit the perfect window of understanding and utter lack of inhibition, resulting in the funniest moment I've had in ages.

I only wish I'd had the quick wits to reply "Aargh!"

Comments

Popular Posts