Persistence

Colin is so incredibly persistent, and has always been.  If he's trying to get to something and you prevent him he'll keep at it.  You might think he stopped, but trust me - he didn't.  He's just waiting for you to forget about it, and then suddenly he's back again.

If he wants something he will just keep repeating himself over, and over, and over and over without any even sight hesitation.  And he NEVER gives up.  Ever.  Distraction may work occasionally, but only temporarily.  He's relentless.

But today he cracked me up in an entirely new way.

I had Colin in the stroller and Ryan in the sling, and we were on our morning walk with Sydney trying to get some exercise before the day got too hot or it started raining.  Colin had eaten a good breakfast, and I brought him a few crackers for his on-the-walk-snack, but he ate the quickly and wanted more.

He started with a litany of "I want moooore" and when that didn't work followed up with a series of "I want more crackers."  I kept replying that I didn't have any more crackers, and that the crackers were gone, but he didn't care.  He wanted MORE!

I finally told Colin that there were more crackers at home, and when we got back from our walk he could have some more.  He paused for only a few moments and then started with a new chant.

"HOME NOW!"

He says this whenever we're on a walk and he's too tired and wants his dad to carry him and bring him home.  Or when he's bored with being in the car.  And here he was, on a walk, "desperately" in need of more crackers, and when he realized that he couldn't get them until he was home, he immediately redirected and started negotiating to get home.  Now!

Pretty clever!

Comments

Popular Posts