Punnett Square

In his baby book (which I maintained for a few weeks, before I got sane and started a blog) I wrote that Colin had dark blue eyes when he was born, but I really don't remember that at all.  He really didn't open his eyes much for the first few weeks, and all of the photos I have of him clearly show him with brown eyes.  I'm sure I didn't dream up Colin having blue eyes when he was born, I just only ever remember him with the giant dark espresso-colored eyes.  And sadly I have no idea when they changed... you'd think I'd remember something like that, but it is a complete blank in my mind.

Ryan also has eyes that are a deep dark blue.  And I keep checking them every day to see if/when they change.  I have read that all infants (or, more accurately, all Caucasian infants) are born with blue eyes, and that the eye color changes at some point between birth and 2-3 years to the final color.  Which could be the original blue, brown, green, or hazel.  I'm fascinated by this... because I don't remember Colin's blue eyes I have no idea how or when they changed.  Was it gradual, or did he just suddenly wake up with brown eyes one day?  I keep looking at photos, and his eyes just look brown (or shut!) in every picture.  Crazy!

What is amazing is that while H and I both have brown eyes, there is actually a 25% chance that Ryan's eyes might stay this color.  (We each have one parent with light colored eyes.)  Don't believe me?  Check out a Punnett Square (this may sound familiar to anyone who didn't sleep through high school biology!).

I'll keep checking and let you all know if/when/how Ryan's eyes change.  If not I'll have a blue-eyed monster on my hands, as well as my little brown-eyed devil!

Comments

Popular Posts