DOH!

So I was feeling really good this morning after my big 6-hour snooze fest. Then I got a call. From the daycare. (PANIC! ...oh, he's OK? So what's up?) Apparently when I made his bottles last night, in my sleep-deprived state, I forgot a piece. A rather important part. The part of the bottle that holds the nipple in place (that's the middle part over there) and keeps the milk inside the bottle. DOH!

In forgetting this tiny piece, which is invisible when you're looking at the bottle from the outside, I caused a bit of a problem. As Colin was eating the nipple popped out of the bottle and all the remaining milk came gushing out. All over him and (to a somewhat lesser degree) to his teacher as well.

Thankfully she was very understanding and laughed about it but I felt bad for her anyway. I'm assuming she had to change her shirt, then they had to change Colin's clothes, clean him up, and he still wasn't fed. Or at least no one knew how much he'd had to eat. As he was "somewhere" in the middle of the bottle they didn't know if he'd had one ounce or three.

No longer able to concentrate on my work for fear that my poor son was starving, I took an early lunch. (Somehow the thrill of reconciling budgets lost its glamor for me. Go figure.) I flew home, got the missing part, made a "snack" bottle for him, and zipped over to the school. When I came through the classroom door I saw Colin was placidly on his back, happily sucking his thumb as if he hadn't a care in the world. I immediately calmed down, realizing that if he was that calm he must have had some nourishment. I put his snack in the fridge, fixed the other bottle, then sat down to feed him. He wasn't starving, but he was hungry so I was glad I came right away. Lucky the daycare is just down the road from my office!

The roller coaster ride continues...

Our next adventure? We have an appointment with the surgeon this afternoon, who I harassed into seeing us. Here's hoping for good news about the lip.

Comments

Popular Posts