The First Cold

Last night poor Colin wasn't feeling his best. He woke up at 4AM for his nightly snack, and then started howling and refused to be consoled. He eventually fell back asleep, but woke again around 7:00 making it quite clear that he was hungry. I tried to feed him, he'd eat for a few moments, then start crying again. I'd try to let him snuggle-sleep on my chest, and he'd be happy for 5-10 minutes, then the wiggling-complaining would start again. I so desperately was hoping to sleep in today, but apparently that was not to be. But I still didn't realize what was up. I just figured he was feeling fussy, so after a quick change (diaper and outfit) I popped him in his sling and took him on a walk with the dog. I figured I'd get a walk in since the rain had decided to pause briefly. (This turned out to be a wise choice, since it rained for the rest of the day.)

By the time Hari got home from golf Colin was starting to sneeze more, with an occasional cough. And so far for the rest of our not-so-relaxing Sunday he has been alternately placid, hungry, or miserable (with emphasis on the miserable part). He's been spitting up more than usual, and he's been coughing and sneezing on and off all day while refusing utterly to take a nap. To say that we feel sorry for the little guy would be an insane understatement! He keeps fussing, yawning, then shines one of his brilliant sunshine smiles on us... or sits just cooing and "chatting" in his teeny baby way. You'd think he'd want to sleep it off, but noooo. Today, of all days, when I just know he needs the sleep, he's refusing to consider taking a nap. *sigh*

I knew that with him being in daycare he's bound to catch a lot of colds, but didn't expect him to be sick after only 2 weeks at school. Just have to keep a really, REALLY close eye on him, and hope that he's better by tomorrow morning.

In the meantime I'm going to keep the humidifier fired up, keep his head elevated, and he'll get a dose of infant Tylenol just before bed so he can (hopefully) get some sleep.

Comments

Popular Posts