Crabby Boy, Grabby Piggies and Arachnid Eggs... Oh My!

Not surprisingly Colin was cranky last night and this morning... most likely a little uncomfortable and/or under the weather from his vaccinations. And who could blame him? He's got polio and all sorts of other nasty germs, running around in his body, and his little immune system has to build up resistance. That's a busy day for a little baby!!!

To add to the chaos...

This morning after Colin's steam treatment (still trying to get rid of the last remnants of this darned cold) I went to get the little guy dressed. I was running a bit late (overslept, again) so I was trying to hurry a bit. The car was loaded, so all I needed to do was wash his face, get him dressed, and then we'd be on our way. The walk from the bathroom to his bed was uneventful, and as I washed his face I was rewarded with a big sunny smile. Then... SCUTTLE-SCUTTLE-SCUTTLE... there was a huge dark brown hairy spider zipping across his bed toward his head!

Now, you have to understand. I used to have a screaming terror when it came to spiders. I once (as a teenager) ran screaming from the shower, trailing a stream of suds and water, because a little house spider decided to descend from the ceiling and hang 2 inches in front of my nose while I was washing my hair. I worked hard to get over this, and considered myself "cured" when I woke up one night, felt something on my arm, turned on the light, saw a big hairy spider on my arm, calmly threw it across the room, then went back to sleep. So I'm not typically a screaming meemie anymore. But... this was a biggie. Headed for my son's head (and his all-too-inviting ear). All I could picture was the darned thing crawling into his ear. And biting him. Irrational? Yes. Unlikely? Of course? Did I care? NO! I grabbed him up and made his father come and get the darned thing out of his crib.
    Dad: (coming over to changing area with a handful of toilet paper) I can't see anything, I don't have my glasses on.
    Me: Its there. (pointing)
    Dad: Where??
    Me: (pointing harder) THERE!
    Dad: Where?!?
    Me: (pointing again, with a wagging finger, while holding baby well away from the spider-infested area) THERE!
    Dad: Oh, OK. (jabs at the spider with wad of TP) Unh, missed it. (jabs again, as the spider tries to scamper away) Unh! (missing again, jabs for a third time, then checks TP wad and finds smooshed spider corpse) Got it! I hope it didn't lay eggs.
    Me: Great. Thanks. (just what I wanted to think about... spider eggs) I'll change his sheets tonight.
I then finished changing the baby, hoping that he wasn't laying in a pile of spider eggs. (Thanks Dad... I really needed THAT thought in my head!) And as I was slipping Colin's shirt over his head... he... grabbed his toes for the first time. WOW!

No, I suppose in the great universal scheme of things this isn't a big deal. But he's been getting better at grabbing things in general, and this was another first.

(Did I mention last night at dinner, when Colin grabbed a bowl of hot pasta sauce on the dining room table and nearly upended it on himself and us? Disaster was narrowly averted thanks to his father's quick reflexes, and we immediately cleared a wide area on the table removing knives, forks and plates from his reach. It takes an infant to make you realize how many potentially lethal objects you have on your dinner table every night. YIKES!)

Anyway, after I had a mild attack of oh-isn't-my-son-cute we finished getting him dressed, then ran off through the rain to get to school and work. A hurricane is just off the coast today, so we're in for a weekend of rain and high winds. And hopefully no spider eggs. Just another day in paradise.

Comments

Popular Posts