Cell Phone Woes - And a Request

Hari has had a Blackberry, which I not-so-lovingly call his crap-berry, for years now.  It can't be updated, has no support, keeps crashing, and has no future since the company tanked.  And yet he refuses to give it up.  For Christmas he upgraded me from my (perfectly functional) iPhone 4S to the 5S, and I fully expected that he would start using my old 4S.  Instead it has remained sitting on the dock, being used for Pandora and very little else.  I even bought him a new case as he said the red one I had (which was actually somewhat masculine!) was too girly.  (When did "red" become a girly color?  No clue!)

He takes pride in his ability to text with speed, swearing he's faster than anyone else.  And brags that this is his "BID-NESS" phone and doesn't have any games.  This is a point of pride for him, for some odd reason... I think he just likes to have a reason why the boys shouldn't want to interact with his phone.

And while I thought he was being silly, it was up to him and I just let it be.  Until Memorial Day weekend.  We were all home, having a nice Saturday morning.  I got up early with the boys, made breakfast, and we were relaxing.  I even made very berry smoothies (for all of us!).  Plus it was one of the rare Saturdays when Hari was not going in to work, so that was a nice bonus.

Hari and Ryan were inside, and Colin and I were behind the house playing.  After a little while Ryan came out and joined us.  I assumed Hari was still watching golf or tennis or something and didn't give it a second thought.  Maybe 10 minutes passed and we were all getting hot so I went inside to grab our waters.

As I walked through the living room I noticed the coffee table... with smoothie spilled... in a giant glop directly... on... Hari's... phone.  It looked like there was about a 1/4 inch layer of smoothie, just sitting on top of his phone.  Plus glop around the sides, and of course dripping down the side of the table onto the floor.

OH. CRAP.

Hari had apparently gone upstairs, unwisely leaving both his phone and our laptop on the coffee table, and his young son unsupervised with a smoothie.  I'd say that the end result was inevitable, but have a feeling that my darling husband wouldn't appreciate that perspective.

I hollered up to Hari about the situation and ran the decrepit piece of equipment into the kitchen and tried wiping it off.  We then removed the battery and put the whole thing in a big container of white rice in the hope that maybe it would be OK.

It wasn't.  Apparently a smoothie-soak is pretty confusing for a phone, because when Hari would type a letter the phone would respond, but would bring up random other letters.  Game over.

We headed up to the Sprint store and I had them set up my new phone (it was a replacement - I had cracked the screen on my old one) and Hari begrudgingly had them transition him over to the 4S.  Since then he's been generally nonplussed about the whole situation.  He complains bitterly about typing on it, and needs some coaching about how to navigate, but the biggest issue is that apparently sitting mostly unused for 6 months killed the battery.  Now he goes from a full charge to dead in just a couple of hours, so we're going to have to head to the Apple store and get this checked out.

That said, I'm looking to all our friends who have (and ADORE) their iPhones... please reply here with your iPhone tips, tricks, and suggestions.  There's a whole lotta people in the world who think these phones are the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I know it is the first phone I've ever had that I've been this attached to... so let's share the love and bring Hari into the fold!

Comments

Laura S said…
The smoothie conspiracy worked out great. Who can be mad at Ryan? My older kids use androids. I use a flip phone- no music, no games, long texting time.

Popular Posts