Dinner Win

Last night the boys and I were sitting down to dinner.  I had made a lemon-garlic tilapia, with mac-n-cheese and peas as the sides.  I figured this was a relatively kid-friendly meal, and know that there was at least one thing each boy loved.  Fish for Colin, and peas for Ryan.

But their dinner choices exceeded my expectations.

As I was preparing the meal Colin started crying, "Mommy, I don't waaaaant mac-n-cheese.  I don't WANT it!  Can I have a salad instead?"

Heck yeah!  You betcha, Buddy.  One salad coming right up!

Ryan's dinner was almost as good - he took one look at his plate, grabbed his fork, and practically dove head-first into his peas!  He even tried a few bites of the fish!

Now I'm not under any delusion that I have done this solo.  I know I'm standing on the shoulders of other mothers.  Moms who helped me think about how I position and "market" foods to the boys.  Moms who helped me to think about new ways to set boundaries and expectations regarding meals.  And I graciously thank every one of you!  Because last night I felt like maybe, just maybe I might be doing an OK job raising these boys. 

And as I sat there, quietly watching them devour their dinners, I toasted myself with a nice glass of (heart-healthy) red wine, and smiled at my boys who are learning to make healthy choices.

Hooray for me, and hooray for them too!

Comments

Popular Posts