Bear Troubles

Colin doesn't sleep with or use a safety blanket, or a favorite toy, or any sort of lovey (except perhaps my hair). He's never wanted one, so I just let it be, grateful that I don't have to worry about some irreplaceable nighttime relic.

Tonight he threw me for a loop and (after reading SIX books) asked for his teddy bear. Not just any bear, HIS teddy bear. As if I should know exactly what he was talking about.

Huh?????

I went into his bedroom, dug through (literally) about 30 stuffed animals, and found a teddy bear. Medium brown with a red bow tie. "No, mommy. I want MY teddy bear."

I went into my bedroom and found another bear. Dark brown, slightly smaller, no bow tie. Nope. "No, mommy. That one is Baby Ryan's. I need MY bear."

SIGH

"Mommy, my bear is downstairs. That's why I can't find him."

URRRHGGGHHH!!!!

OK, Colin, I'll go get your bear. (Don't ask me how, because I don't know how or where I will find this elusive mystery bear for whom you have developed such an immediate and abiding need. Grumble! Grumble! Grumble!) "No, mommy. I'll help you."

Fine. Whatever. Let's just find this [edited] bear and get you to bed!!!

We all headed downstairs and I went over to the bin in the kitchen with the stuffed animals. Allll the way at the bottom (of course) was a small, pale tan, Winnie the Pooh stuffed teddy bear, oddly wearing a black bra-strap like a bandolier. (Clearly this accessory did NOT originally come with the bear, and I don't remember dressing him up like this. But I digress.) The important thing is... that was the specific bear that Colin wanted. He happily tucked the bear under one arm and headed for the stairs.

We all trudged back to the bedroom, snuggled into bed, and amazingly Colin fell asleep promptly without further ado. Go figure!

If I had know it was this helpful I would have ensured both boys had a lovey to adore from day one!! Then again, I would be shocked if this lasts more than one night.

Oh well... at least it was helpful tonight. I'll take any win I can get. Even a small temporary one! Big thanks to Winnie the Pooh, and Joan, Lydia and Veronica who gave Colin "his" teddy bear nearly 3 1/2 years ago!

Comments

Popular Posts