I Am Iron Man!

Colin has not seen the Avengers movie, nor has he watched any Avengers (or Hulk, or Iron Man, or any other "action" comic cartoons on TV or otherwise).  And yet somehow he knows ALL about them.  I'm not entirely sure if he just hears about this stuff at school, or if it is somehow genetically hardwired, but the kid is obsessed.

His favorite, by far, is Iron Man.   I bought him some action hero underpants a while back, so this is at least in part my fault.  At the time I just wanted him to have a few more underpants (in addition to the Spongebob and Yo Gabba Gabba undies already in his drawer) since we were potty training and I expected some accidents.  I had no idea that once he got action-hero undies he would adamantly refuse to wear any non-action-hero underwear.  Caveat Emptor indeed!

When Colin first put on the Iron Man undies Hari and I both couldn't help ourselves, and began singing the Black Sabbath song Iron Man (I. AM. IRON MAN... duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh-duh DUH-duh-duh!)  I didn't realize then what we were starting.  I didn't understand the impact of what we did until last week when...

I walked into his class for my usual lunchtime visit, and didn't see Colin at the lunch table.  I turned and saw he was in the bathroom, but hadn't seen me.  He was facing the toilet, with his pants around his ankles but his underpants still on, and had twisted around to try and look over his shoulder at his own rump.  He plucked gently at the waist-band, and then I heard it.  Very quietly, almost under his breath, Colin was singing "I. AM. IRON MAN... duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh-duh DUH-duh-duh!"

I struggled desperately to stay quiet and not start laughing, wanting to see what happened next.

Colin kept singing and trying to peer over his shoulder to see the image of Iron Man on the butt of his undies.  I figured he was done and then... he dropped his undies and moved forward as if to take care of business.  He hadn't gone yet!!  Colin stood there for a moment, then turned around and sat down.  Hmmm... nope, not quite right.  He then tried lifting the toilet seat while still squatting over it.  He then stood and lifted the toilet seat again... and sat directly on the pot (somehow managing to not fall in).  That wasn't quite right either so he stood up again, faced the toilet, then turned again and sat down (still singing, by the way) and finally peed.

As he stood up and was hauling his pants up over his tiny bottom he finally looked up, noticed me, and exclaimed "Heeeeey!" with a giant grin on his face.  Priceless!

I. AM. IRON MAN... duh-duh duh-duh duh-duh-duh DUH-duh-duh!

Comments

Popular Posts