Mind your Manners!

I have been working to teach Colin proper dinner manners - no small feat with an almost-3-year-old boy.  And while we certainly don't have a dinner table that is ready for the Queen Mother to attend, I think we're doing pretty well.  Little boy insanity creeps in from time to time, and we have some fun (and the occasional spill or lost fork!) but Colin knows he has to stay in his seat through the meal and on occasion he actually eats!

My true achievement, however, comes at the end of the meal.  When he wants to be done Colin says "May I be excused?"  When I give him the OK he then takes his plate, clears it into the garbage can and puts it in the sink.  He comes back for round 2 and gets his milk cup, walks it over to the fridge, puts it down on the floor, then grabs the fridge door with both hands to get it open (he's still a little guy!) and puts his milk away.  On his final trip he comes back to the table and pushes his chair back in.  Hooray!

Last night, however, was the best.  He was done, asked if he could be excused, and I said "Yes, Colin.  You're excused."  His reply?  "NO!  Mommy, you're supposed to say Yes, you may."  It took me a second, and I realized that normally that's how I reply to him each night.  "May I be excused?"  "Yes, you may."

He's such a stickler for details!
I love this kid!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts