What a Night!

The other night Hari said he would be working late, so I was going to have to fly solo with the boys.  This isn't a problem - it happens on average about once a week, and while there are varying degrees of little-boy-chaos things are generally fine.

Not this week.

It started right when I went to pick the boys up.  I got Ryan as usual, plopped him in the sling, threw the diaper bag over my shoulder, and headed down the hallway to get Colin.  I walked into Colin's room, started gathering his things (jacket, water bottle, note, lunchbox) but he had different ideas.  He scampered straight to the door and left.  I saw it happening and quickly just grabbed everything and took off down the hall as quickly as I could.  It is a straight shot to the front entry hallway, which is a good-sized are where there are a lot of toys, and I hoped Colin would stop and play as I certainly wasn't going to be able to catch him.  (He's fast now and I was loaded up with the baby and a bunch of gear... and I was wearing heels.)  No such luck.  Colin sprinted straight down the hall, through the front, and out the first door.  At this point I shouted his name, somewhat sternly/frantically and the woman at the front desk (Kristin) also nearly screamed his name.  Colin didn't hesitate and blew through the second door and was outside in the parking lot.  Thankfully he was still on the sidewalk and another parent was coming in so they grabbed him before something bad happened.

I finally caught up with him, brought him back inside, and we had a long stern talk about not running away or going outside.  Kristin was right there, and (literally) burst into tears telling Colin she would never ever ever recover if something happened to him.  (Mom wasn't so nice - no tears, I proceeded to tell him that if he went outside alone he could get squished by a car.  Do you want to get squished by a car???  HMMM?!?!)

That excitement aside, we made it home without further ado, I got Syd to do her business, and everyone was in the house with the doors locked.  (After one escape I decided to not tempt fate - we were staying inside for the rest of the night!)

I started making dinner while Colin played with random toys and Ryan toodled around.  One of his favorite entertainments right now is to crawl over to Sydney's elevated food/water dish, then stand up and flick the water around with one hand.  He does this over and over and over, and I know exactly what's happening the second I hear the tiny splish-splash-splish.  Well, I saw Ryan headed in that direction, but things were too quiet.  I walked over to see what he was doing... his hands and arms were completely dry, but his entire face was dripping wet.  The kid had planted his whole face in the dog's water dish.  *sigh*  I paper-towel dried him off, and just went on with the night.

When dinner was nearly ready I got both boys in their seats, and gave them their waters.  Again... things got too quiet so I walked around to find... a puddle under Colin.  "What happened?!?"  I went pee-pee.  "Whaaaaat????"  I went pee-pee.  I rushed over and felt his pants... dry.  ????

Then I turned around.

The baby's sippy cup was open, lid off, on the tray of the highchair.  There was a matching puddle under the highchair, and the baby was soaked to the bone.  Drenched.  Colin had decided to "help" and took the lid off the baby's sippy cup.  I'm not sure if he then gave it back to Ryan and the little guy dumped it over his own head, or if Colin thought it was a good idea to give the baby a bath in his chair, but either way the result was the same.

The only saving grace is that no one was injured, and no one was crying.

I somehow managed to make it through the rest of the evening without any true disasters, got the boys to bed, and fell asleep right alongside them. Since the day clearly was NOT going well for me, I slept through the rest of it!

After all... tomorrow is another day...

Comments

Popular Posts