Sasquatch

So at the beginning of the summer we took Colin to a Stride Rite store to have him measured for his first official pair of "big boy" shoes.  He was measured as a 4½, and we got him two pairs of shoes and were instructed to come back in a late August to have him re-sized since children his age typically outgrow shoes in a couple of months.  They held up well, but it was the end of summer so over Labor Day weekend I started the hunt for new shoes.

First I tried some local stores (Marshall's, Famous Footwear, Kohl's) to see if they had Stride Rite shoes in his size.  I know the shoes are well made, and figured I could just get the next size up and he'd be set.  And I'd pay $15 for his shoes instead of $35.  I found the shoes, but at every store they didn't have anything larger than a 4.5, so I was stuck paying full price.  H was actually happy about this, and said that it was better to have them measure him, and make sure that we were getting the right size - you're paying for the service as well as the shoes.

I went to the mall over Labor Day weekend, while H was at golf, and eventually it was our turn.  I took off Colin's shoe and the woman measured him.  Here's how the conversation went.
Stride Rite Girl: He's a six.
Me: WHAT?!?!?  I'm sorry, can you please recheck.  His old shoes are a 4½.  That can't be right.
Stride Rite Girl: (remeasuring both feet) Yes, ma'am.  He's a six.  (with a superior tone)  You know, you should really bring him in at least every two months to be re-measured.  Children's feet grow rather quickly and it isn't good for them to be wearing shoes that are too small.
Me: (indignantly annoyed) Yes, I know that.  I was just here at the beginning of the summer, and they told me to come back at the end of August - that's why I'm here now.  Are you sure you measured that correctly?  Let's have him try them on and check again.
(I sat Colin in my lap, he happily proffered his foot exclaiming "SHOOOO!!!" and we got both new shoes on him lickety-split.)
Stride Rite Girl: (pushing down gently on the toe of Colin's shoe) Yes, ma'am.  This fits him correctly.
Me: (inwardly rolling eyes) *sigh* OK, fine.
Stride Rite Girl: (brightly) Would you like to buy a second pair?  We have a buy-one-get-one 50% off sale right now.  You could get one pair a half size larger so he'll have his winter shoes.
Me: (choking back a seriously snarky response) No, I don't think so.  If his feet grew 1½ sizes in two months I'm not buying a pair 1/2 size up.  Thanks you, though.
I figured at this rate Colin will be wearing a size 8 or 10 by December!  There was no way I was buying a second pair of shoes.  Was she nuts???

The more I thought about it, the more I became convinced that the girl measured his feet wrong.  His socks were a little loose, she didn't get his heel all the way back in the sizing tool-thingy, she wasn't paying attention... I was not satisfied.  And that's the whole reason I went to this crazy expensive store... for the peace of mind you get from knowing that they took the time to accurately measure your child's feet, and get him into a solid pair of well-made shoes.

I had to wait until the following weekend, then went back to a different Stride Rite store.  'Cause that's how clever I am!  I was not going to get that lazy, shiftless too-big-shoe-selling mall girl again.  I went in, signed the sheet, and eventually it was our turn.  I explained to the gentleman my concern, and how I had bought the shoes just the week before but really... they had to be much too big.  I wanted Colin to be remeasured so I could buy him a new pair of the correct size shoes.

He pulled out his handy little tool, Colin stood up and put his foot in... and... it was just barely shy of the line that said... 6.  Seriously.  He measured Colin's other foot - it was about a 5 3/4.  The man then patiently explained to the neurotic mother (me) how sometimes children hit a growth spurt, and Colin obviously had done so over the summer.  He might go dormant for a while now and his feet could stop growing for a while - you never know! (Hey lady... duh... kids grow.)  I just needed to keep an eye out and could bring him back to be re-measured in a couple of months.

I very politely and meekly thanked him and scuttled out of the store as quickly as possible.  All shades of indignation gone as I contemplated my son, the Sasquatch child, and his incredible growing feet.  No wonder they used to let kids run around barefoot all summer... the way this kid is growing I'm going to have to take out a second mortgage just to keep him shod!

Comments

Popular Posts