Fortitudine Vincimus

Fortitudine Vincimus.
   Translation: By endurance we conquer

I think this must be Colin's motto, and he isn't kidding!

Yesterday I took him to the park, and as we were walking up to the playground he saw a Winne The Pooh metal lunchbox (?) and was instantly obsessed.  I wouldn't let him play with it, since I had to assume it belong to some child who would be back for it eventually, and frankly I didn't know if perhaps a dog had... ahem... "marked" it or something.

I put the lunchbox just outside the mulched area, behind the surrounding two-by-fours so it was out of sight, thinking Colin's attention would re-direct to the swings, slides and other play equipment.  Wrong! 

I tried to put Colin in the swings (his favorite) and he adamantly refused to even put his legs through the holes, saying "please, please, down!"  The moment I put him down he made a bee-line for the corner of the playground where I'd "hidden" the lunchbox.  When I blocked him from getting it he stopped and started bawling (not real tears, but he was certainly frustrated).

I picked him up and carried him to the far side of the playground.  He started to happily crawl around the play-gym, playing with me in the tunnel and riding the elephant.  He climbed the stairs and looked through the peep-holes.  He did knock-knock on the bubble window.  He went down the slide.  And then, when he thought I'd forgotten about it, he headed straight back for the corner again.  I blocked him and he spent a couple of minutes dodging left and right trying to get around me.

So again, I picked him up and carried him to the far side of the playground.  I played with him in the tunnel, I let him walk over to a tree and held him so he could "sit" on a branch, he went up and down the slide over and over again.  He was fascinated by a bug and watched it intently until he (very gently!) touched it and it flew off.  (He waved and said "bye-bye!")  Then he started walking, very casually, toward the corner.  Again.  Pausing at the swings to inspect a very interesting piece of mulch.  Then he hightailed it right toward the corner again!

The kid is relentless.  He bides his time.  Time elapsed could be 5 minutes or 20 minutes, but he will keep going back until eventually you forget and he succeeds.  Yesterday I won, because the weather was turning and we had to head home, but I was continually amazed that he never got distracted or lost sight of his goal.  Despite my best efforts!  That is one persistent little 16-month-old boy!

Comments

Popular Posts