Colonel Congestion, Reporting for Duty

So Colin continues to deal with congestion.  Horrible congestion.  Gross green boogies congestion.  Soupy yellow snot congestion.  ICK! ICK! ICK! ICK! ICK!

Yesterday at school they had to put him in a rocking chair to nap because he kept waking up when laying in his crib.

Last night when I got him home he was playing happily, but I had to keep wiping his nose b/c the right nostril was doing a hard-core Niagara Falls imitation.  His bath helped a bit (think Niagara Falls after a serious rainstorm), as did the prescription decongestant I gave him, but he still was stuffy.  I propped him up on multiple pillows and laid next to him on our bed, reading as he finally fell asleep.  I knew he wasn't feeling great, though, because as he was dozing he kept reaching for me, needing to keep at least one hand (sometimes both) on me.  Especially fun was when he hooked a finger into my mouth and didn't want to let go.  I realize he was sleeping, but Mom is not a trout.

Overnight he woke up at 4AM because, again, he was so congested he couldn't breathe through his nose.  I tried to comfort him gently, hoping he'd just doze back off and breathe through his mouth, but that was a no go.  After about 20 minutes I gave up, got up, and gave him a 15-minute steam in the bathroom.  Initially he woke up for it, but eventually he dozed back off.  I wiped off some giant green globs of post-steam gook from his face, and he slept peacefully until he had to get up for school.

H kindly gave Colin another steam this morning, and then sang to the little guy while dressing him for school.  Calling him Mr. Huff and Puff and Stuff.  Because he huffs and puffs, and his nose is all full of stuff.  A reference, by the way, to a bizarre 70s children's TV show HR Pufnstuf.

(As a side note, what the heck was wrong with us in the 70s that a psychedelic yellow-orange freak with a giant gaping maw of a mouth and horrible two-tone green bags under his eyes was considered OK for kids?!?  I won't even get into the other allusions... just looking at this guy is enough to give you nightmares.)

Comments

Popular Posts