The Nomadic Christmas, and Crab-jamas

I haven't been able to post for a while, mostly because Colin seems to take up nearly every waking moment of my time.  Not that I'm complaining!  When I pick him up from school I greedily enjoy every second I have with him... and am sure that his bad sleep habits (i.e. wanting to sleep with mom and dad) are as much my fault as they are his.


As a quick catch-up, our nomadic Christmas went quite well.  Colin was an angel in the car, despite bitter cold as we worked our way through the endless state of Pennsylvania.  And his first flight went better than I would have hoped!  He actually fared better on the plane than his father who developed a bad earache 24 hours before our flight, resulting in utter misery for the poor guy.  So while H was huddled on the couch, with antibiotics swimming through his system, Colin and I took long walks around the neighborhood, enjoying the sunny warmth.

While we were down in the sun and fun Colin also had a number of firsts.  While visiting friends he climbed two stairs completely on his own... because there were toys he wanted to get to and he refused to let something like stairs get in his way.  He also had his first trip to the beach, which he found quite pleasant until I put his feet in the water.  The chilly waves of the Gulf were apparently not his idea of fun.

We returned to Cleveland for about a day and a half, after which we all bundled back into the car and began the return journey.  Thankfully, unlike our last visit, Colin slept through most of the return journey.  And while we were utterly exhausted, it was great getting to spend the holidays with friends and family!

As far as day-to-day life, Colin continues to eat like a champ, and loves all solid foods although his current favorite seems to be pasta.  I made some small pasta (ditalini), cooked some ground beef, and combined them both with tomato paste, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, finely diced veggies, and a little Parmigiano Reggiano.  Not exactly gourmet, but the kid went NUTS for it.  He refused his other foods (crying if I tried to give him a bite of veggies) and howled for more when he was finished!  Go figure!

He's still addicted to the stairs, and just last week climbed all the way to the 2nd floor all on his own.  OK, I was 1/2 inch behind him the whole way, but I didn't help at all... he climbed every one of those steps all on his own!

He doesn't seem to mind the cold either, and likes to "taste" the air when we're walking outside.  If it is cold he will open his mouth a bit and stick his tongue out to better experience the winter chill!


And tonight I put him in his Crab-jamas.  His most adorable pajamas... a pique material, cream background with multi-colored elephants.  Unfortunately it seems that every time he's in them we have a bad night.  Either he's teething, or he refuses to go to sleep, or he wakes up at 4AM sobbing hysterically... you take your pick.  I supposed this is just another nail of evidence that my friend was right... the cutest are the naughtiest.

Well, I supposed I'd better turn in now.  Colin is sleeping peacefully now, but I'm sure the Curse of the Crab-jamas will kick in any moment now.

Comments

Popular Posts