Food Continues

Colin's adventures with solid food continue.  To date he's tried:
 - oatmeal cereal
 - sweet potatos
 - apples
 - peas
 - and today... avocado

And he loves them all.  Well, almost all.  There was the Granny Smith applesauce... the first applesauce I made was from one Granny Smith and one Braeburn apple.  I thought it would be mildly tart from the GS, but sweetened up by the Braeburn, so it should be a nice middle ground.  Or not.  Poor Colin took one bite, squinched his eyes shut, and shook his head left and right.  Trying not to laugh I got up and mixed some sweet potatoes with the apples to cut the tartness, and everything was right in his world again.  Since then I now make his applesauce from sweet apples only, and he devours it all like a baby bird.  Lunging at the spoon with his mouth open and making monster noises all the while so I'll know he is enjoying himself!

I have to admit, I've been having fun making the food for him.  We did buy a few jars of food mostly as "emergency" backup or for foods that we don't typically eat, but most of what he's eating is home made.  Today I boiled a bag of peas, put it through the food mill and then the food processor.  And while Colin had a small jar of fancy-schmancy organic peas to start, I have to say... the ones I made today looked and smelled SO much better!  They were a lovely bright shade of green, smelled so fresh, and when I sampled them they were quite sweet.

The avocado this morning was an easy hit - I just mashed it and added in a wee bit of applesauce \and he devoured it.  I was so glad, because everything I've read says that avocados are a "super food", with healthy fats, brain-developing nutrients, etc.  So tomorrow for breakfast he'll again get oatmeal, and avocado with a hint of applesauce.  How's that for the breakfast of champions?!?!

Coming attractions will likely include
 - banana
 - butternut squash
 - pears or peaches

Then...on Thanksgiving he'll get his first taste of meat.  Turkey of course!!!  Bon appetit!

Comments

Popular Posts