Success

This morning, at approximately 7:10AM, I saw an enormous centipede (at least 2 ½ inches long - maybe bigger!) crawl out from under my fridge.  At nearly the exact same moment, Colin somehow managed to fall over on the floor less than 18 inches from the creature.

I managed to get Colin up off the floor, kept Ryan from noticing the creature, and prevented Sydney from trying to "help" investigate.  I then took a LARGE fistful of papertowels and smashed the thing, then deposited the whole mess in the garbage can.  All the while I calmly explained to Colin that there was a very big centipede in our kitchen, and that Mommy didn't like them, so I was going to kill it.  He was very cool about it, and just repeated, "Yeah, we don't like centipedes."

I did this all without screaming, shouting or yelping.  I refrained from hollering for Hari to get the HECK out of the shower and come down and do his husbandly duty and murder the arthropod intruder.  I took care of business without alarming either boy, so they don't develop an unreasonable fear of insects.

And yes,  for the record, on the inside I was screaming like a ninny, and wanted nothing more than to run from the room with my hands flailing over my head, shrieking for someone else to take care of it for me.  I will admit, that in spite of really REALLY squishing it, I opened the garbage can very carefully for the rest of the morning... just in case it wasn't fully dead and decided it wanted to crawl out and get revenge.  But I kept that all on the inside.

I am SUPER-MOM!!!

Comments

Popular Posts