Where Does the Time Go?

When I say "Where does the time go?" I'm not talking about my children growing up too fast.  It is true - a month passes and it feels like only a day or two - but I am literally asking... WHERE does the time go?

I realized tonight, as it took me nearly 40 minutes to get ready to go for a quick jog, just how long it takes to do anything any more.  How much preparation is involved in even the simplest activity.  Think I'm kidding?  Here's a real-life example of a trip to the pool this summer:

 - get Colin changed into swimsuit and shirt: 10 minutes
 - get me changed into swimsuit: 3 minutes
 - apply sunscreen to Colin and me: 10 minutes
 - load towels, toys, floaties, swim passes, and cell phone into bag: 10 minutes
 - feed baby: 25 minutes
 - change baby's diaper: 2 minutes
 - change baby into clean clothes 3-4 times because he keeps spitting up all over himself: 15 minutes
 - load baby into stroller and catch Colin to put on his shoes: 5 minutes
 - walk to pool: 15 minutes (this could take about 90 seconds, but with a 2-year-old who has to inspect every ant, pine cone, and speck of dust it is an adventure walk that cannot be rushed)
 - sign in, arrange baby in shade: 5 minutes
 - remove shoes, put on Colin's floaties: 5 minutes
 - SWIM: 3 minutes (at this time baby Ryan began sobbing hysterically and we had to get out of the pool and leave)
 - walk home: 5 minutes (faster because now Colin is also sobbing and had to be carried)

Total elapsed time: 1 hour, 43 minutes
Total time spent swimming: 3 minutes

All I can say is that it is no wonder why so many women fail to regain their fitness after having children.  I have fallen off the workout wagon myself, and am seeing the ill effects both physically and mentally.  I truly love to work out, and still have difficulty making it a consistent part of my day any more.  How much harder would it be for someone who doesn't like working out?  Or has never made it a consistent part of their pre-kids lifestyle?  I can only imagine!

I've come to realize that if I want to be able to work out regularly my only real option is to get up earlier and start working out in the mornings.  But I'm only getting 5-6 hours of sleep a night now so I think shaving my sleep down by another hour might be a bad decision!  Something is going to have to give because I can't keep going the way I am, but until then I will continue to wonder, as I muddle through my days... where the heck does the time go?!?

Comments

Popular Posts