Not Quite Sneaky-Bossy

Colin has become very... well... bossy.  There's no other way to put it.

If the baby starts crying he'll tell me (while pointing) "Mommy, go get the baby. Pick him up!"
If I'm holding Ryan and Colin wants my undivided attention: "Mommy, put the baby down"
If he's watching a movie and wants company he'll pat the sofa next to him and say "Mommy, sit!
If we're throwing the ball, he'll take me by the hand, say "Mommy, stand here" and walk me over to the desired location.  He will then grab me by the legs, turn me in the direction he wants me, and then push as needed to ensure I'm in the exact right spot.

Two weeks ago I gave him his breakfast, and was buzzing around the house trying to get things done (feed baby, let dog out, yadda yadda yadda) before the cleaning people came, and he apparently decided that enough was enough.  He caught me as I was going into the kitchen, took me by the hand, and said "Sit, Mommy! Eat breakfast!"  I had made coffee, but it was still in the pot at 10:00 AM and while I intended to grab a bite to eat I simply hadn't been able to do so yet.  Colin, however, decided enough was enough and it was time for his delinquent mother to eat her very late breakfast.  (I did, and definitely needed it... so thanks little guy!)

A couple of weeks back he informed me that I looked tired, and that mommy needs to go nite-nite.  Again, he was very correct, but that time I sadly couldn't comply.

And lest you think I'm just a giant pushover, he does this to his father as well.  We don't always comply (although sometimes I do, just to see what he's up to!) but that doesn't stop him from trying.

Unlike our sneaky-bossy friend (you know who you are!) Colin's style is more bossy-bossy... leaving the sneaky part out entirely.  And yet somehow it is still endearing.  Perhaps that is just because he's my little guy (I know I'm biased!), or perhaps it is because he does it so seriously, but often accompanied by an impish grin.  Either way, I pity the people in this kid's future... he's bossy, persistent, and utterly relentless.  Good luck, World.  I think you're going to need it!

Comments

Popular Posts