Best Big Brother Ever

I guess the title of this post pretty much says it all.  Before Ryan was born we wondered how Colin would take the new addition, but in retrospect there was no need.  Colin has been an adoring big brother since day one, and I mean that literally.

The day after Ryan was born Colin came into the hospital room and was really wonderful, showing interest in his new baby brother, and attempting to play with him a bit.  The day Ryan and I were coming home from the hospital Colin and H came into the room, and Colin was chanting his glee about his baby brother.  (And H swears he didn't prompt that at all - it was Colin on his own.)

Since then he's been wonderful.  He gives the baby kisses (unprompted), will gently pat him on the head (sometimes absentmindedly, while watching a movie), and boasts to people that this is "MY baby Ryan" - just in case anyone would forget.

He isn't a saint though - in the middle of the night if he wakes and wants mommy, and I'm busy feeding the baby he cries and tells me "put the baby down, Mommy!"  He never actually does anything, but will sometimes crawl half into my lap as I'm feeding the baby.  Other times he'll just put his head down on my leg and go back to sleep like that.  It is equally endearing and pathetic.

But in general he's great with the baby.  He's kind, tolerates sharing our time (although we both make the time to have some one-on-one with Colin each day), and seems to enjoy the child known as Baby Ryan (that's his full name now - don't try and tell Colin otherwise because he won't believe you).  He even likes to help with cleanup: he'll dispose of dirty diapers, fetch bibs and diapers, and even helps with bath time.  One day Colin took it upon himself to get a washcloth, go into the bathroom, climb onto his stepstool, climb up and turn on the water, wet the washcloth, turn off the water, then he toddled over to the baby (in his bassinet) and proceeded to wash his feet and belly, telling me proudly "I"m giving Baby Ryan a bath!"

The other day was just priceless.  I was in the kitchen quickly whipping up some dinner for Colin while the boys watched a movie in the living room.  (OK, Colin was watching the movie while Ryan napped in his bouncy chair.)  It got a little too quiet so I peeked in, and saw Colin standing over the baby... as he leaned down, gave the baby a kiss on his head, then gently patted his head.  I quietly backed out of the room, thankfully unnoticed by Colin, and then nearly died from cute overload.  I couldn't believe Colin did that, all on his own... or that I happened to walk in at the exact right moment to see it.

I know that there are days coming when my boys will fight.  When someone will tattle on someone else.  When I'll have to deal with bickering in the car, and other sibling nonsense.  I expect it and will deal with it as best I can.  But for now, it is really incredible to see what a great big brother Colin is.  I'm proud of you, little guy.  You're the BEST!

Comments

Popular Posts