*MWAH*

Yesterday morning H was at tennis (before work) so I was downstairs getting breakfast/lunch together for Colin and I, and putting out breakfast for Syd and Seamus.  The last phase of my morning (before I actually get dressed) is my own breakfast, which is typically a cup of decaf coffee and some soy-butter toast.  Not exciting, but it is quick and good enough to get the day going.

I had just sat down to my breakfast when I heard Sydney thundering up the stairs.  I wondered what she was up to, but everything was still quiet so I wasn't concerned.  Then I thought I heard a little something.  Abandoning my breakfast I headed upstairs to check on Colin (who I'd left snoozing peacefully in our bed, barricaded in by a couple of mountains of pillows).  I walked into the bedroom and found him, kneeling between the pillow mounds, groggily trying to open his eyes.

I crawled onto the bed, and lowered myself so I was looking up at him, and when he finally opened his eyes I was right in front of him... for my efforts I was rewarded with a very sleepy but priceless grin.  He leaned forward and wrapped his arms around my neck gently crooning "Mama" then snuggled in my arms.

I carried him down, and sat down to finish my now tepid breakfast.  (I've come to realize as a mom that the concept of sitting down to an uninterrupted hot meal just isn't in the cards.  Someday it will happen again, but probably not any time soon.)  Anyway, as I finished my breakfast Colin was happy to lay his head down and cuddle in my lap until he realized I was having soy-butter toast.  He then levied the little boy tax of a few small bites which he chewed with his eyes closed, head still resting on my shoulder, but it was otherwise an incredibly peaceful moment.

When we finished I headed upstairs to get him dressed.  As I went to change his diaper he began complaining, but we'd had such a great start to the day I decided I was not going to tolerate whining or tears.  Every time he'd make even the slightest noise of complaint I'd give him a big fat raspberry on his exposed belly, and despite his best efforts he ended up laughing hysterically: chalk up a win for Mama!

Amidst his peals of laughter he did something he's never done before... he stopped, looked up at me, and it sounded like he said "kiss."  When I didn't catch on he pursed his lips, took my face in his hands, and pulled me down to his face, then again said "kiss!"  I sometimes ask him for a kiss, and he happily complies, but this was the first time he ever asked me for a kiss.  I happily gave him a smackeroo, after which we went back to a rollicking morning of getting dressed and tickling, but that brief moment absolutely made my day.

This kid is spoiling me rotten... and I love it!

Comments

Popular Posts