Role Reversal

Last week, as I mentioned, Colin was home from school with a case of Roseola.  Thursday was the peak of the illness and he spiked high fevers all day, but thankfully by Friday he was on the mend.  Still a bit floppy, but definitely more his usual self.

As Thursday was Veteran's Day H was home to help out, but on Friday he had to go back to work so it was just Colin and I.  By mid-morning I realized that I felt a little worn down as well, and decided that after lunch I would lay down with Colin and we could take an afternoon nap together.  It is my "vacation" after all, I thought to myself, why not luxuriate and take a little snooze?!?  Colin needs a nap anyway, and I was going to enjoy getting a little extra rest.

After lunch we went upstairs, I closed the doors to my bedroom (just in case Colin got any ideas about escaping!) and we went to lie down and catch a few Zs.  Or so I had planned.  Colin wasn't in the mood.  Try as I might I just couldn't get him to lay down.  Instead, here's what happened.

I lay down, trying to set a good example (and really, really needing the nap myself).
Colin put his hand on my cheek and (gently) turned my head sideways into the pillow.
He said "nite-nite."
And he began to rub my tummy.

To get the full impact of this you have to understand that this is exactly what they do with the kids at school when it is nap time (less the positioning of the head - that's all Colin).  They get the kids to lay down, say "nite-nite" and rub their tummy or back until they fall asleep.

My son, at the ripe old age of 18 months realized that mommy needed a nap and put me to bed!
Go figure!

Comments

Popular Posts