The Bumpy Road to Toddlerville!

This week Colin graduated to the next class at school, and is now a member of... TODDLERS!

At Goddard they do a great job helping the kids move from one class to the next.  For two weeks prior to the move they "transition," spending a few hours each day with their new class.  This lets them get to know their new teachers, the new routine, and their new classmates gradually.  Colin's transition went well, as usual.  He was actually thrilled to be reunited with some of his friends (who he's known since he was a tiny infant!), and had a great time playing with Lily, Michelle and Axel (the twins), Hope, Daniel, and others.  He also already knew one of the teachers (Miss Lynn) because she used to help out sometimes in the Infant room.  So everything was hunky dory, and I expected this week to be sunshine and roses.

On Monday when I dropped Colin off we went to his new room, and when he saw Miss Lynn he practically jumped out of my arms, ran across the room, threw his arms around her neck in a giant hug, then trotted happily back over to me.  I heaved a nearly visible sigh of relief, took off his jacket, sat Colin down with his breakfast, and was ready to leave thinking this was going to be a breeze.

WRONG.

Colin latched on to my leg, clinging desperately and crying.  Oh God... no.  Seriously... this can't be happening.  I tried to comfort him, and hand him over to Miss Lynn, but he grasped at my hair and neck like a demon was trying to drag him down to the pits of despair.  (Yes, my heart broke into about a thousand pieces.)

Thankfully Miss Lynn has a couple of little boys of her own and started playing/roughhousing with him, and the next thing you know he was laughing.  So while he was distracted I sneaked out the door, feeling guilty but knowing there wasn't much else I could do.  Being a working mom can really stink.  In some ways (much to my surprise) I see benefits in daycare.  Colin has a lot more friends than he would have if he were home with me, and is an incredibly social child.  But that doesn't mean that it is easy, for either of us.  And some days/weeks are harder than others.

I've been checking in on him at lunch (as I always do) and he seems to be doing a bit better each day.  The teachers said he was doing an impressive barnacle imitation with Miss Lynn at first, but he seems to be gradually adjusting to the other teachers.  Which is good because tomorrow he loses his safety net... Miss Lynn will be on vacation from tomorrow through next Monday.  In a way this will be good, as Colin will be forced to bond with his new teachers, but I also feel bad for him because this has transition has been like driving on a bumpy road in a car with a blown suspension system.

And as a bonus Colin is cutting new teeth (that's #13, and possibly #14 for those who are counting!) so he hasn't been sleeping particularly well which only adds to his inability to deal with the change.

Here's to (hopefully) less turmoil, tears, and no new teeth next week.
Fingers crossed!!

Comments

Popular Posts