Who Needs Lassie?

I recently posted about the bond between Colin and Sydney.  Last night they took it to a new level.

It was Father's Day so we went down to Philly for the evening to see H's parents.  They live close by and (not surprisingly) are rather fond of their son... and Colin!  ;-)  After a nice supper the family settled down to watch the US Open (golf - not tennis).  I'm not a big fan of golf, so I spent most of the night either with Sydney or Colin.  I took Sydney out back for a few nice sprints around the giant field behind their house.  Took her and Colin onto the back deck to blow bubbles.  Then we came in for the night and tried to get Colin to slow down for the night.

He wasn't interested.

The more we tried to get him to wind down, the more the boy got wound up.  Not unusual, but not fun either.

My mother in law eventually volunteered to try and work her Grandma Magic on Colin.  She took him into the next room (which is really connected to the family room) where the lights were lower and no one was shouting about a stupid putt or a bad drive.  (UGH)  And amazingly Colin seemed to calm a little.  I was actually afraid to go into the other room, lest my presence set him off again.  He wasn't entirely calm, and hadn't stopped crying, but it was down a notch.

Not good enough for Sydney.

She came over, planted herself in front of H and I, and stood there.  Looking at us expectantly.  I thought maybe she needed to go out, but I'd just taken her and she had (ahem) taken care of business.  So that wasn't it.  Hmmm.... She was very persistent though, looking at us as if it was something urgent.  When we didn't respond she gave a quiet "whuff!"  The poor dog was nearly dancing, so I figured maybe she needed to go out again.

The moment I got to my feet she bounded into the next room and literally led me to my mother in law and Colin, and wasn't satisfied until I was holding the baby.  The moment he was in my arms she immediately calmed down and visibly relaxed.  Are you kidding me???  This dog is amazing!!!  I don't care if she is a little crazy in other respects, her utter devotion to our family outweighs anything other insanity.

Who needs Lassie?  With Sydney around, I can tell you we certainly don't.

Comments

Popular Posts