Zoo Crew

Today was supposed to be a boys day for Colin and H, and a "spa" day for mom including my first haircut in 6 months.  But when I called this morning to confirm my appointment I found out that the girl had called in sick and they needed to cancel.  I won't get into my frustration that no one called to notify me.  Or the fact that this was the third time they've rescheduled my appointment.  Or my disappointment over my shaggy appearance when we have family photos scheduled for tomorrow.

Thankfully I have an amazing husband, who pointed out that it was a beautiful sunny day, and perhaps we could take advantage of it and do the zoo trip I had been trying to schedule to celebrate Colin's birthday.  So I managed an attitude adjustment, got myself excited for our adventure, and after quickly packing up we hopped in the trusty Murano and were on our way to the Bronx Zoo!

Thanks to H-luck we got a great parking spot right near the entrance, applied copious amounts of sunscreen, loaded up the stroller, and we were in!  Colin was most fascinated by the birds... especially the very exotic Mallard Ducks.  (*sigh*)  But I suppose from his perspective a duck that swims around and then flies off just feet from your face is much more exciting than a 2,000 pound grey Indian Rhino chewing hay in a tan enclosure.  For now.  Aside from the ducks (and peacocks, and scarlet ibex) Colin's other favorites were the Mouse House (lots of activity there, but not for the faint of heart - if you can't handle a truly giant jumping rat, stay out!) and the Reptile House.  Colin liked some of the frogs and lizards, and definitely enjoyed the life-sized statue of the Komodo Dragon!

It was a heck of a drive in and out, and I won't get into the insanity of a few thousand New Yorkers trying to exit a gigantic parking lot through a teeny 1-car-wide entrance.  It was dicey to say the least, and I swear I think our car and a big black Lexus defied the laws of physics and were occupying the same space for a moment.  But the paint is unscratched and there are no dents, so I have to chalk another one up to H's driving talents.  I love being so close to the city, but am a serious advocate of public transportation when it comes to the Big Apple.  Driving in the city is just nuts - you have to be insanely aggressive if you want to survive.  (And I know my bad temper well enough to realize that I am better off as a passenger.)

Anyway, we had an entire afternoon at the zoo without so much as one tear or tantrum.  OK, we saw other kids throw a fits that were probably qualifiers for an award, but Colin was an absolute angel.  And I think he really enjoyed the visit.  After a day of people, creatures, and a lot of assisted walking he's sleeping peacefully in his crib.  Probably dreaming of ducks.

Comments

Popular Posts