The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Yes, I know.  That's the title of a book.  (A book I'm rather fond of, by the way.)  But today we took it a step further.

Colin had a rather rough day.  First a trip to the pediatrician for his checkup which ended in a couple of vaccinations.  Then over to a lab to have blood drawn (testing for anemia, lead, and allergies).  By then Colin was D-O-N-E.  He was so good during the appointments, but after they drew the blood he was so miserable he just couldn't stop crying.

I got him home, we took Syd out for a quick "constitutional," he had a snack, then back in the car.  (More tears.)  Next was a painless trip to the plastic surgeon for a checkup.  The doctor was generally pleased with Colin's lip, but said that he would probably recommend one more surgery.  The next one will be a honing procedure, and while I don't have all the details, from the brief explanation it sounds like basically they'd be cutting out the scar, after which his lip would have perfect symmetry and there would be minimal visible scarring.  We probably won't need to do that for a couple of years, but it is something we will need to keep in mind.  He looks good now, but what sounds good to me is that if we do the second surgery, I don't think he'll have any impact or visible remnants of the cleft, which would be wonderful.  But that's years in the future (at least a couple), so we'll deal with it then.

Finally done with all the doctors for the day, I decided to head to the car-seat-inspection center.  You see... Colin is finally big enough to sit in a front-facing car seat.  We're planning a trip back to Cleveland for Memorial Day, and I wanted him to be accustomed to the new carseat setting before a road trip.  Colin (thankfully) napped through most of the install, and eventually we were done.  He was pretty excited at first, but then just wanted to be done with the car.

We got home, he had a quick meal, and then it was time for a walk with Sydney.  We were not out of the development when I saw... a caterpillar crossing the sidewalk.  I was so excited to show it to him - Colin's first caterpillar!  I picked it up and he was fascinated.  He especially liked when the caterpillar reared up off my finger and "pointed" toward him.  He smiled, and pointed, and would have tried to hold the caterpillar if I'd let him.  (I didn't.  Caterpillar mush was not on my agenda for the afternoon.)  I let him look for a minute, then explained that the caterpillar was probably quite hungry, so I put him back down on the grass.

Now that spring is finally here for real, I'm looking so forward to taking Colin out and showing him everything.  Frogs, caterpillars, birds, snakes, bugs... we're going to have such fun!  I cannot wait to take him on a nice long hike!

Comments

Popular Posts