Bacon Serenade

For no particular reason, at some point over the past year Ryan was crying and Hari started singing to him.  But, of course, it wasn't just your standard nursery fair. Hari, for reasons I'll never understand, chose "Volare" with flair and inflection from Dean Martin.  Every cheesy syllable.  The lyrics change from day to day, and verse to verse, but the start is always the same...

     Ooooooooh Ryan, ohhhh-oh
     You're cryin', whoa-oh-oh-ho

The remainder of the lyrics are changeable, such as:

     Ooooooooh Ryan, ohhhh-oh
     You're cryin', whoa-oh-oh-ho
     You're a good little baay-bee boyyy
     And your family loves you a lot

     Ooooooooh Ryan, ohhhh-oh
     You're cryin', whoa-oh-oh-ho...

When I sing this I tend to get even cheesier, playing with the words:

     Ooooooooh Ryan, ohhhh-oh
     You're cryin', whoa-da-lee-oh!

And so forth.  Colin always gets a kick out of this, and periodically when Ryan is cryin' (ha ha) he asks me "Mommy, sing 'whoa-da-lee-oh' to Ryan" which I typically do without hesitation.  (Who can pass up the opportunity to belt out a request for a super-cheesy song?  Not me!)

Recently Colin has taken to singing this himself.  If Ryan is crying he starts in with his own version...

     Ooooooooh Ryan, ohhhh-oh
     It's gonna be okaaaaay, whoa-da-leee-oh!

You can imagine my amusement at this.  But he's taken it a few steps further.  Yesterday there was a new boy in Colin's class at preschool, who was clearly not on board with being there.  The poor boy was sitting at the lunch table, sobbing (as loud as possible) for his mother.  He eventually gave up on lunch and just took the teacher's hand and stood there wailing.

Colin was sitting in my lap, and I asked him what his new friend's name was. "Om.  His name is Om, mommy."  (pronounced "ohm")  I felt bad for the little guy, so I told Colin that maybe after nap he could play with Om and help make him feel better.  Colin, cuddled in my lap, put his arms around my neck and started crooning "Ooooooh Om, oooooh -oh.  It's gonna be okaaay, whoa-da-leee-oh."  It took me a second before I realized what he was saying, and when it sank in that he was singing our little comfort song to a new student at his school I was utterly overwhelmed.  I just hugged him tight and told him I loved him, amazed yet again at the incredibly good heart that our little guy has.

Tonight Ryan was over-tired as we were getting ready for bed, standing in his crib crying as I dried Colin off and got him dressed. Colin started singing to his brother (you know what song!) and then, suddenly Hari appeared in the bedroom doorway... brandishing a slice of bacon as a "reward" for his performance!  Colin (who we believe is going through a growth spurt, and has been hungry all the time) let me finish getting him dressed, and then when I went to brush Ryan's teeth I heard him.  Standing at the top of the stairs...

Daaaadyyyyyyyy.... I'm siiiiinging....

     Ooooooooh Ryan, ohhhh-oh
     You're cryin', whoa-oh-oh-ho

Do I get more bacon now?

That's my boy, and his bacon serenade.  Yummers!

Comments

Popular Posts