Tired?

I recall friends (Nora!) whose children insisted that they wanted to get up at 5AM every day.  It literally got so bad that they gave the kids a clock and said "You can't get out of bed until the first number is a seven." just to try and keep some semblance of sanity in the house.

Those kids are teenagers now, so I doubt they're still waking up that early, but it made me wonder what to expect.  I shouldn't have worried... Colin is his father's son and decided not to wait until his teenager years to develop an appreciation for the sandman.

Every morning we have to drag him out of bed.  He's a limp lump that I pick up, and he nestles into my arms (sometimes demanding that I take my hair down) as I walk him downstairs for breakfast.  Sometimes he'll pat the pillow next to him and tell me "Mommy, I just want to snuggle with you.  Just a few more minutes.  Let's snuggle."  I'll deposit him in his chair and sometimes he'll eat, other times he'll take my hand, put it on the arm of the kitchen chair, and then rest his head on my hand telling me how sleepy he is. (Yes, it is adorable.)

The other day was the topper though.

It was mid-morning on Saturday.  I had gated the boys in their room to play dinosaurs for a little while so I could get dressed and wash my face in relative peace.   They were playing nicely and then... UH OH!  It was quiet.  Too quiet.  With two little boys quiet is not a good sign.  I bolted down the hallway, sighing with relief when I saw that the gate was still up, but still worried because I didn't see or hear anything.  I quickly stepped over the gate, scanning the room and not seeing ANYONE.  I was about to panic when Ryan walked across the room (Velociraptor in hand) - he was fine, and had just been standing out of sight next to the dresser.  I then walked into the center of the room looking for Colin... and didn't see him.  I checked between the dresser and the wall (he hides there sometimes) - nope.  No Colin.

Now I was worried.

I called his name, feeling very scared.  Where the h-e-double-hockey-sticks had the child gone???
"COLIN???"

I heard a tiny muffled reply... and turned to the closet.  The door was closed so I gently slid it open to find Colin, curled up on top of Hari's unfolded clothes, his arms around his two triceratops' (a giant one about 2 feet long, and a "baby" about 5 inches long).  He informed me in a small quiet voice that he was sleepy and asked me to shut the door.

I immediately had visions of the little brother Randy from the movie A Christmas Story, who hid under the kitchen sink during times of stress.  Only instead of having a glass of milk under the sink Colin was curled up with dinosaurs in a closet full of unfolded clothes.

I finally lured him out, and we continued with the rest of our day, but I have to say the experience was a bit surreal.  If the kid ends up in an over-stuffed snow-suit someday I'm going to call it fate!

Comments

Popular Posts