Piddling Updates

No, I don't mean piddling as in "small and insignificant" - I'm talking actual piddle.  Pee-pee.  Urine.  The ever popular number one.

This weekend we had our second potty-training success.  Which was incredibly exciting for me, although Colin was utterly non-plussed.  There I was clapping and cheering and practically turning back-flips and I swear, the kid couldn't have been more bored and uninterested.  He might as well have said "what's the big deal, mom?"  H was pleased as well, although his reaction was much more subdued since he was in bed still half asleep. (Good boy! You just saved us $0.50 on a diaper!)

This was a much happier morning (at least for me!) than Thursday, when H got his revenge for the ice cream incident.  We were in the midst of our usual morning rush-craziness, and H had remembered (at about 7:00 AM) that he had an appointment at 9:00.  With an hour drive in to work that didn't leave him much time to get ready, so we both shifted into high gear.  I said I'd get Colin dressed (normally a daddy job), but asked H to get his diaper off as I was brushing my teeth and wasn't quite ready to take over yet.

Now, in H's defense, I know darned well that mornings are not his best time of day.  He's groggy at best, and in an un-caffeinated state isn't exactly on his A-game.  But I thought that his brain could function well enough to handle a diaper change without detailed instructions.  I was very, very wrong.

H said he was done and Colin was on our bed (where we typically change him, since we never invested in an actual changing table), and headed off to the second bathroom.  I finished brushing my teeth and walked in to see Colin brightly sitting up on my side of the bed, smiling.  Naked from the waist down.  In a large wet puddle.

H had taken off Colin's diaper, and left the kid sitting on the bed.

Me: GAAACK!  H.... what did you DO?!?!?!
H (from the other room): What do you mean?
Me: Colin just peed all over the bed.  Why didn't you put a clean diaper on him????
H: You didn't ask me to. You just said to take his diaper off, so I did.
Me: What?  Really???  It didn't occur to you to put a new diaper on the kid?
H: I just did what you asked. 
Me: (fuming) If he had peed on your side of the bed I think your reaction might be a little different!
H: He's old enough to know better... he shouldn't have peed on the bed.
Me: He isn't potty trained... what were you thinking???
H: (starting to lecture Colin about only peeing on the potty or in his diaper)
Me: Forget it - there isn't time for that right now, and he doesn't get it anyway.

At that point I took a deep breath, and decided that being angry wasn't going to change anything, and would only make the morning worse.  Instead I put a diaper on Colin, got him dressed, stripped the sheets from the puddle spot, then used a towel to soak up as much of the wetness as possible. I then got out the Resolve and started spraying.  I doused the offending area, used a fresh towel to get up as much as possible, re-applied a heavy dose of Resolve, then threw a towel over the mess and left it for later.

And I couldn't stay mad at H, because in spite of the fact that he hates winter and cold, when I got outside I found him cleaning the snow/ice off my car (from yet another spring storm).  He had started the car as well, so it was warm and cozy for Colin and I as we climbed in to hear to work/school.  Just another reminder that he's a really great guy, even if I want to strangle him sometimes.

For now I've decided to chalk this entire incident up to H's morning fog, but seeing as it happened less than 24-hours after he accused me of sabotaging him (see aforementioned ice cream incident) I can't help but wonder if maybe... just maybe... this wasn't entirely accidental.  Hmmmm...

Either way, this is another learning moment for us all.  And hopefully over the next couple of months we'll get Colin fully potty trained and then this will all be just a distant, and hopefully amusing memory.  Until a couple of years from now when Little Number Two gets to this stage.  Then I'm going to have to re-read this post and remind myself that if I ask H to take the little guy's diaper off before high noon I also need to provide specific instructions for a new diaper to be applied.  Promptly!!!

Comments

Popular Posts