Owww... right here

Colin went on a hunger strike again recently, and I thought it was because he was under the weather (runny nose, fever, yadda yadda yadda),  On Friday night he went on a crying jag which started because we had the audacity to offer him a grilled ham and cheese sandwich.  When his father asked him what was wrong he managed to stop sobbing long enough to point to the back of his head and say "owwww!  right here."  Daddy picked him up and rubbed his head, and he snuggled in and finally stopped crying.

We were pretty convinced that this was just a cold, since he does have a runny nose and a cough (which we're monitoring) but I've noticed that the kid is walking around with his entire first jammed in his mouth.  And I started thinking that might be a clue.

Last night I stuck my finger in his mouth (there's no dignity in being a toddler - get over it) and felt around a bit.  And in the moments before I got bit I felt two giant bumps behind his molars.  The kid is cutting at least two of his last four baby teeth... the big molars in the back.  Which really explains it all.

I know that some "experts" believe that teething symptoms are fiction, but parents who live with little kids tell a different story.  It depends on the child, and I know some kids just magically sprout new teeth without any fanfare.  BLING!  I have a new tooth!  Others have fevers, crankiness, cosmic diapers ('nuff said), drooling, and may even mimic earache symptoms when molars come in (pain, tugging at ears).  Colin falls roughly into the middle of this spectrum.  He's certainly not asymptomatic, and thankfully doesn't chew on chairs like my one friend's son did, but there are signs that (if I'm not utterly oblivious) give me clues to work with.  So it looks like sometime within the next month or so my little guy should have a full set of teeth to work with.  Steak anyone?

Comments

Popular Posts