Merry Christmas to Me!

This morning after breakfast it was time for a clean diaper so I took Colin upstairs.  No big deal, right?  I took off his old diaper, got him cleaned up, and was preparing to put on a clean diaper.

Colin often chatters with/at me while I'm changing his diaper, and I'm pretty accustomed to it.  He'll talk about his book, or a toy, or going (back) downstairs, and so forth.  Well, as I was about to put on his new diaper he said "bee-bee-baheee."  I didn't understand what he meant, and kept trying to put the diaper on but he got really upset, started crying and exclaiming "bee-bee-baheee!" over and over.

Thank goodness H walked into the room and realized that Colin was saying "pee-pee potty."  I couldn't believe it, but I figured there's no harm in letting him sit for a minute or two.  So I carried him into the bathroom, put his potty seat on the toilet, and plopped him on it.  He sat there for about 5 seconds and then... piddled.

For those of you who still have lives that don't revolve around sustenance either going in or out of someone else I realize that this isn't a very appealing or exciting post.  But as the parent of a young toddler, a very large part of my life focuses on feeding, diaper changes, and making sure that both are happening on a regular basis.  Yes, there's a lot of playing, reading, a few movies, and a ton of incredible discovery, but in the background you have to keep planning for the next feeding, nap, or diaper change.  So the fact that my 20-month-old son just asked to go to the potty and actually did it is freaking AMAZING.

I know I can't count on this regularly (yet!) and that the whole potty-training thing is a long road with invariable setbacks.  But for now I'm going to cherish this slightly delayed Christmas present.  It gives me a glimmer of hope that I might get Colin potty trained before LN2 arrives.  Now that's something to dream about!!!

Thanks Colin!

Comments

Popular Posts