Hold 'em tight

Last night I read about a childhood friend of H's. His son, who is less than 2 years old, was diagnosed with a horrible and rare form of cancer. And while they're going to fight it with everything they have, prognosis isn't great.

While I would always have felt terrible hearing about such terrible news, now that I have a baby of my own it hits so much closer to home. I both can and cannot imagine how the parents feel, knowing that their son is literally fighting for his life. My heart goes out to them, and I'm hoping for the miracle that they need to have a happy ending, but all I wanted to do after reading the news was to run upstairs and hold Colin in my arms. So I did.

Last night I slept with my (still rather teeny) son in my arms. Snuggled close where I could feel his warmth and his heartbeat, his little breaths... And in some ways even happy to be up at 4AM (and 5AM) because his teeth hurt and he couldn't sleep so neither could I. Grateful because a sleepless night is so much better than some potential alternatives.

So everyone out there, hug your kids tonight and enjoy every moment you have with them. Even the "bad" times are precious.

Comments

Popular Posts