On the Train

We're planning an upcoming trip to the museum, and I was talking to the boys about it.  Everyone was excited about taking the train, and perhaps the subway.  And about seeing the dinosaurs and everything else at the museum.

Then Colin reminded Ryan that he had to stay dry, and I agreed.  (Potty training took a big backward step when Colin left TLE and went to kindergarten.  We're back to staying dry most days, but occasionally run into a bit of trouble.)  I reminded Ryan that he would have to stay dry the whole day. So we'll go potty right before we leave, and he has to tell me in advance if he has to go while we're out.

Then Ryan reminded us all... there are pottys on the train, right Mommy?  But they're dirty.  Remember?  Someone threw up in the toilet, and I had to pee in the sink.

GOOD LORD!

This dates back MONTHS... maybe back to early 2014.  We were coming back from the city... maybe from the US Open Kids Day, or possibly from some other outing.  I can't be sure.  Either way, we were on our way home and after boarding the train Ryan announced that he had to go to the bathroom.

Now, for the record, Hari and I have a long-standing rule that we DO NOT, under ANY circumstance, ride in a train car with a bathroom.  They're always smelly, so we avoid them.  I'd rather stand the whole way than sit in one of those cars.

But Ryan had to go, and with a young child you can't tell them to wait until they get home.  There's no early warning system or advance notice.  When they need to go, they need to go NOW!!!  For some reason I got stuck making the trip with the little guy.

We found a car with a bathroom.  We opened the door.  And I swear I would rather go live in a Stephen King novel than have to relive that moment.  There was used toilet paper and garbage all over the floor, which was also very wet with what I assume were most likely bodily fluids.  I held my breath, helped Ryan to lower his britches, and we approached the toilet.  It was literally full to the brim with diarrhea and/or vomit.

I picked Ryan up, held him near the sink (which was also filled with dirty toilet paper and paper towels) and told him to pee in that general direction.  As soon as he was done I put him down, pulled up his pants, and we exited.

When we had made it safely to another train car I got out my hand sanitizer and Ryan and I copiously scrubbed our hands.  I then completely blocked the incident from my memory because it was just too freaking horrific.  I never wanted to think of it again.  But thanks to Ryan and his most excellent memory (UGH) now it is again fresh in my mind.

Which is actually a good thing.  Because IF Ryan has an emergency and needs to go potty on the train, I'm going to make sure I stay put in the seat with Colin and Hari can make the trip to Hell and back.  Because I'd rather have lunch with Pennywise* than go through that again.

======
*Pennywise is the creepy homicidal clown from Stephen King's novel IT.  'Nuff said.

Comments

Popular Posts