Not Funny!

Last night I went to bed and was dozing by the time Hari came up.  I heard him rummaging around, and then knew he was laying in bed playing around on his phone.  I think I maybe mumbled good night, but it most likely came out as an unintelligible grunt, after which I started to nod off again.

I vaguely remember feeling a child climb into the bed and flop between us.  I kinda realized it was Colin, and draped my arm over him snuggling with him.  He spooned against me, nestling in, and I drifted peacefully back to sleep.

*CHOMP!*

I squealed - something bit my hand!

For the record, this is not a pleasant way to wake up.  Even if it doesn't draw blood.

I realized that Colin bit me, but in looking down the kid was still 95% asleep.  The other 5% of him was apologizing profusely.  (Don't ask me how that works, but I swear that's how it went down.  His eyes were still closed, body still limp, but he was protesting that he was really REALLY sorry, and he didn't mean it.)

I assumed he must have had a bad dream or something, so I kissed him and told him it was OK and I knew it was an accident and he should go back to sleep.  He relaxed, quieted, and nodded back off.

Then he half work up again.  "Mommy, I'm hungry."  (So you'll have a good breakfast in the morning.)  "No, Mommy.  I'm huuuuugry.  Please get me some food."  (OK, in just a minute Colin.)  Yes, I was stalling hoping he'd fall back asleep so I didn't have to go downstairs and throw something together for him.

He drifted back to sleep yet again, at which point Hari decided to get snarky.  "He's hungry, and you got bit!"  

Without ever opening his eyes, or even flinching, Colin immediately retorted in an angry voice, "Daddy, that is NOT funny!"  That was it.  He was totally back to sleep on his next breath.

Hari and I quietly laughed like hyenas for the next 5 minutes or so, trying desperately to not wake our indignant child.  I woke up this morning with a small bruise on the back of my left hand to prove that it all happened, but didn't have a chance to ask him about it before school.  Now I just can't wait to see if he remembers the incident when I pick him up.

Comments

Popular Posts