Thirsty?

Last night the entire family fell asleep while putting the boys to bed.  Around midnight I woke up and realized the TV was still on downstairs.  *SIGH*

I went down, turned it off, cleaned up the last of the dishes, took Sydney out for one last potty trip, then turned off all the lights and headed upstairs.  After brushing my teeth, however, I was wide awake.  I figured I would play games on my iPad for a few minutes, then drift off to sleep.

WRONG.

First Ryan woke up, creakily whining, "Mommeeeeee.... I need waaaaaaaterrrrrr."  I had a large, fully bottle of water next to the bed (always be prepared!) and handed it to him.  He sucked down a few gulps and then lay back down.

Then he started wiggling around.  Then he and Colin clunked heads.  Then Colin started wiggling around.  Then Colin woke up, and now he was thirsty.   "Mommeeeeee.... I need waaaaaaaterrrrrr."

I handed Colin the same water bottle and he started chugging.  Now I will state, for the record, that Colin often drinks all the water/milk/juice if the boys are sharing any sort of container.  But this was probably a 24-ounce bottle of water, and it had recently been full.  So even after Colin finished there was still a good THREE INCHES of water still in the bottle.

But Ryan wasn't buying it.  He started crying that he was thirst, and "Colin drank ALL the water!"  No, Ryan, look... see?  There's lots of water here.

SOB! SOB! SOB!  NO, Mommy, he drank it all.  Colin drank ALL the water!!

Ryan, look.  Look here - see?  Look!  See all the water?  I even tried helping him tilt the bottle so he could drink but he batted it away.  He was simply too burning mad to pay attention to details like that.  So he continued to sob.  During this chaos Hari woke up and was trying (very unsuccessfully) to get Ryan to hush so he didn't wake Colin up.  (Colin, by the way, slept through everything without so much as a twitch.)  Ryan continued sobbing until he started to dry heave.

HARI! GET HIM INTO THE BATHROOM, NOW!!!

Hari picked Ryan up and deposited him in front of the toilet.  Eventually he stopped heaving, and Hari brought him back into the bedroom.  Ryan crawled over, curled up in my arms, and cried somewhat quietly until he eventually fell asleep.

By this time I was wide awake.  So was Hari.  So there we were, both stupidly surfing Facebook and playing games.  Hari showed me some videos, we chatted quietly.  Hari chuckled at something he read and I asked what was so funny.  Ryan immediately responded "I didn't say anything funny, Mommy." in a stern voice, then went back to sleep.

And before I realized what was happening I noticed the clock on my iPad.  2:19AM.  WHAT?!?!?  I have to wake up in 2½ hours!!!  I was freaking out.  I'm tired most of the time anyway, how am I going to function on 2 hours of sleep???  I'm telling you right now, this parenting gig is not for the faint of heart.

For the record, I took Sydney on a shorter walk than usual today, and expect I will fall asleep early tonight.  Until then, coffee is my friend.

Comments

Popular Posts