I'm So Happy...

For the past few months, coinciding almost exactly with Colin's entry into Kindergarten, Ryan has been having trouble staying dry.  He had been completely potty trained since early spring, staying dry even at night.  Then BLAMM-O.  Wet almost every night.  Then wet during the day.  Multiple times.

I've tried everything.  Gentle reminders, offering rewards, star-sticker charts, even putting him back in pull-ups (which he HATES!).  Nothing worked.  He didn't even seem to care.  I'd ask why he went potty and he'd tell me, "Don't worry about it, Mommy. It was just a little pee-pee."  And sometimes it was.  He'd leak a bit (just enough to soak both his pants and underwear), and then go potty.  Other times, though, it was an all out biblical flood.  Moses would have been impressed.

Then I found something and decided to give it a try.  For ten bucks I bought THE POTTY WATCH.  You set it for a 30, 60 or 90 minute interval and it plays a song and colored lights flash around.  Then it automatically resets itself for the interval again.  All designed to remind someone small that it is time to go to the bathroom.

I didn't have much faith, but it didn't break the bank and I figured it was worth a shot.  So the other day I picked Ryan up from school, and told him that I had a special watch for him.  But first he had to learn the song before I could give him the watch.

(To the tune of Oh My Darlin')
     I'm so happy
     I'm so happy
     I'm so happy, when I'm dry.
     So I'm so going to the potty
     Every hour I will try.


I played it up.  This is a big honkin' deal.  A watch that sings special songs.  And lights up.  A WATCH!!!  BUT you have to learn the song first.  And when you hear the song, what do you do?  GO TO THE POTTY!

After about a 15 minute buildup I finally let Ryan put the watch on.  And then waited (I'd set it for a 60-minute interval).

One hour later I heard a chiming little tune.  Ryan looked down at his wrist, and then literally JOGGED to the bathroom.

HALLELUJAH!  IT WORKED!

No fighting that he was busy.  No complaining.  And NO WET PANTS.  This thing is a bona fide miracle worker.  I pop it on his wrist and like Pavlov's dog as soon as the song begins he drops everything he is doing and heads for the bathroom.

The funny side effect?  Colin is now asking for a potty watch.  No joke!  He even tried the angle that there was a kid in kindergarten who peed his pants.  (Not in his class.  No one he knows.  Colin just "heard" about it through the Elementary grapevine.)

Added bonus: Ryan has been dry every night again too.

I'm not counting my proverbial chickens yet, but think we might be getting back on track.  And all I can say is if I ever meet the inventor of the potty watch I just might kiss them.  (OK, with the whole Ebola thing going on, maybe I'll restrain myself to a hearty handshake with a large side of THANK YOU!)

HOORAY!

Comments

Popular Posts