Early Bird

With my new schedule I have to get up pretty darned early (5AM) if I want to have a couple of minutes to myself to either take a walk with Sydney or go for a run.  Today I managed to haul my saggy tired rump out of bed on time, and was planning to go for a quick run.  I stumbled to the bathroom, and as I was washing my hands the door opened and I saw a small shadowy figure.

Not the 4-legged one I was expecting, but a teeny little humanoid shadow.  It was Ryan.  He heard me, woke up, followed me into the bathroom, and sleepily insisted that he was coming with me.

We've done this dance before, and I knew I had a few options:

  1. Go back to bed, lay down with him, and give up on any hope of exercise.
  2. Dump him on Hari and go for my run.  This would mean that the whole time I was on my run Ryan would make everyone's lives miserable, as he wandered around the house crying because he had been abandoned by his horrible mother.
  3. Try and negotiate with a 3-year-old, explaining that Mommy just needs to get a little exercise and I'll be right back.  This would take anywhere from 20-30 minutes, and he would be sobbing through the process, Colin and Hari would be disturbed, and I wouldn't be able to go for my run.
  4. Give up, get Ryan dressed, and go for a walk in the remaining time left to me.  Ryan is happy, Syd still gets her walk, and Colin and Hari get to sleep without listening to the 200 decibel serenade of misery.  (Downside: no run, again, and I'm supposed to be training for a half marathon that I'm running in 5½ weeks.)
Not surprisingly I chose option #4.  I got Ryan dressed and bundled including a hat and blanket (it was in the mid 40s this morning!), handed him an apple to munch on, and out we went.  He was actually good company, chatting with me the whole time.
09/24/14, approx 5:30AM

I forget that the boys aren't out much when it is really dark, so he was amazed by all the stars.  (It is pitch black out when I go for my walks - might as well be 2AM, so you can really see the stars, and there wasn't a cloud in the sky this morning.)  The funny part is that Ryan was asking me about the stars.  I told him that those are all the stars, that is what it looks like at night, but he disagreed.  "No, mommy, that's the aliens."  And no matter what kind of scientific explanation I gave him, he wasn't accepting it.  Those were aliens up there.  And really, who am I to say he was wrong?

We did a couple of laps in the development, then headed inside and got on with the morning routine... breakfast, shower, brushing teeth, etc.  And I have to say, while I'm disappointed that I didn't get my run in today, it was really nice spending the morning with my happy little early bird.  Love you Rye-Rye, even if you are a naughty rabbit!

Comments

Popular Posts