KINDERGARTEN!

Last week Colin started kindergarten.  Yep, I said it.  My kid is in REAL SCHOOL!

I didn't think it would be a big deal for me.  It isn't like I was a stay-at-home mom and had him all to myself all day for the past 5 years, so I should be over it.  Right?  No big deal.

Wrong.

Both Hari and I took the morning and dropped Colin off on his first day.  It was a beautiful day, not too hot, and we arrived at the school early.  We took a few pictures, then headed over to the side of the school where we could see some families were gathered.  Little by little parents and children were arriving, and we were directed to find the area where their teacher was.  We found the picnic table with Mrs. Young and went over to say hello.  Colin was so excited, unlike some of his fellow students.  It was interesting to see the variety.  There were kids like Colin, with both parents there, everyone clearly excited and perhaps a bit nervous.  There was one girl who had taken the bus and was completely alone.  There was a little boy with both parents there who was sobbing hysterically (seriously - I thought he might throw up he was crying so hard).  There were some kids who took the bus but met their parents at the school.

Colin was so sweet.  I suggested that Colin talk to some of the other kids, but he whispered, "Mommy, I'm feeling a little shy today."  I told him that was OK, and that all the other kids probably felt shy too, which got a little smile out of him.

Eventually it was time to head inside.  Colin's teacher said for the class to line up, and they all did.  Colin looked to us and reached out for me to hold his hand, but I motioned for him to stay in line - while I would happily have carried him in my arms, I knew that this was the first step in his education and it was time for me to let go a little.  He happily turned and walked in a nice line following the teacher.

As they headed into the school and walked into the classroom, Hari and I hung back a bit.  Mrs. Young told the students to look at their nametags and they would find a number.  That number was which set of cubbies was theirs (1-4), and they needed to hang up their backpacks in their cubby.  Then the kids were to find their name on a 3x5 card, and come over to a board where there was a question (Are you wearing red today?), and put their card under either the YES or NO side.

We saw parents hovering over their kids, helping them find their cubby.  Grabbing the name cards for them.  Walking their children around the room.

Hari and I stood in the back and watched as Colin followed all the directions, then went over to the teacher to ask what was next.  I saw her start trying to tell him he was assigned to group #1 and point to where his cubby was.  Colin replied, "No, Mrs. Young.  I'm all done, see?"  She looked up, saw that he had done everything he was supposed to, and told him he could go sit down and start coloring.

I was SO proud, and knew that he was going to be fine.  Hari turned to me, smiled and said "I think we're done here.  Say goodbye and let's go."  So I walked over, gave Colin a quick kiss, and that was it.  We left and he was flying solo.  My big boy.

Comments

Popular Posts