Skidamarink...

This morning as I was putting my shoes on to leave for work Colin came darting over to me with a conspiratorial smile on his face.  He whispered, "Mommy.... I have to tell you something!  Its a secret!"

I was hurrying, late for work, Ryan still didn't have his coat on, I needed to get all the bags into the car, and I nearly told him that it wasn't a good time and he needed to wait.  I'm SO glad I didn't.

He sidled up to me, put his mouth right next to my ear, and while playing with my hair began to whisper/sing...

     Skidamarink a-dink, a-dink,
     Skidamarink a-doo,
     I love you.
     Skidamarink a-dink, a-dink,
     Skidamarink a-doo,
     I love you.

     I love you in the morning,
     And in the afternoon;
     I love you in the evening,
     And underneath the moon.

     Oh, skidamarink a-dink, a-dink,
     Skidamarink a-doo,
     I love you!


Growing up I never heard this song, which is odd since it originates from a musical back in 1910!  And since it is utter gibberish the title has apparently had many spellings over the years.  Either way, it is track 11 on a CD of children's songs that I bought a few years back and Colin and I love singing along with it, and now Ryan is learning to love it as well.  Especially because on the CD they keep singing it faster and faster until it is an almost impossible tongue-twister.

And this incredibly catchy ditty has been in my head all day, making me smile in spite of all the stresses of work, because my little guy decided to serenade me this morning for no reason at all.

Comments

Popular Posts