All Aboard!

Every morning I am the first one up in the house.  I typically wake around 5:15 so I can take Sydney for a morning walk.  I'm home by 6:30, so I clean up the kitchen (it is inevitably still messy from the night before!), put on coffee and make breakfast for me and the boys.

Once this is all done (or mostly done) I then head upstairs.  In the bedroom I typically find all three of my boys soundly asleep in a tangled heap in our bed.  With the lightest of touches Ryan's eyes will pop open and he literally leaps into my arms, wide awake and ready to take on the day.

Colin is more like his daddy.  He is floppy, and deeply asleep.  I can talk to him, tickle him, tweak his nose... he will ignore it all.  Or might react by trying to huddle deeper under the pillows and/or comforter.  Possibly whining that I should leave him alone because he's sleeeeeepy.

Eventually I have them both at least semi-conscious, at which point I am expected to carry them downstairs.  Both boys.  At the same time.  Two arms, two boys... they've each claimed an arm.  My right arm is my "Ryan Arm" and the left is my "Colin Arm" and they consider this a done deal.

A year ago this was much more manageable, but as they continue to grow this has become a somewhat challenging activity.  Colin, weighing in at a solid 46 pounds is of limited help as he is typically still half asleep.  Ryan is still under 30 pounds but because he's instantly awake it is tougher to make sure he doesn't tumble out of my arms as he looks around, inspects photos on the wall, and tries to grab things off the dresser as we're walking past!

I normally count the stairs as we head down (math practice!) but recently we came up with a small twist.  I don't know if I did it or one of  the boys said it first, but now every morning as they jump (or blearily crawl) into my arms we proclaim...

ALL ABOARD THE MOMMY TRAIN!

And as I walk out of the bedroom to begin our morning, Ryan puts his little arm up, tugging on an invisible train-whistle shouting "All aboooooard!  CHOO CHOO!"  We then chugga-chugga down the stairs.

I know this can't last too much longer - the boys are just getting too big for me to safely carry them both down the stairs at the same time, but this is just so dang cute I can't fathom saying no.  So, until that day...

ALL ABOARD!!!!

Comments

Popular Posts