Home Is Where

Occasionally I have to travel for work.  I keep it to a minimum because (truth be told) I really hate it, it has a huge impact on Hari's day and his work schedule, and it is hard on the boys.  But my job has changed some over the years, and in my current role it is now periodically necessary.

When I go there's a few things I expect:
  • My work will provide little or no advance notice.  This time I was given 5 days notice (which includes the weekend) for a mandatory 2-day trip.
  • No sleep.  I typically have to get up around 4AM to catch an early flight, then meetings all day followed by dinner with the client.
  • Dirty dishes - I walk in the house and am faced with a sink full of dirty dishes.  This always amazes me as we HAVE A DISHWASHER that is about 18 inches from the sink.  That said Hari has significantly improved his management of the house over time.  At least now the toys are put away.  I'll never forget the one time, I came home to a half-empty dishwasher (he had been using the clean dishes, but never unloaded it), a sink and counter covered in dirty dishes and crumbs, and I swear every toy and book in the house was out and on the floor.
  • Overtired boys: the boys don't like to go to bed for Hari, and typically stay up on the day I'm getting home waiting to say goodnight (even if I get home at 9AM).
  • Frustration: Hari effectively ends up working half days between dropping the boys off, and having to pick up, plus taking care of Sydney and... well, it just isn't easy!  And once I'm back he spends the next week (or two!) trying to catch up on all the work he missed while he was being a full-time solo dad!
As they get older it becomes both easier and harder with the boys.  They understand I'm going away for work, but the interruption to all of our lives is hard.  This last time Colin informed me "I don't want you to go to your Floriday work any more, Mommy.  Not ever!"

On my most recent trip Hari told me that at dinner on Monday he and the boys were talking about how they missed me.  At which point Colin stated that he missed my hair, and Ryan followed up by saying he missed my belly.  These kids are weird.  I can't help it.

The only good part about business travel is when I finally get back.  I can see the relief on Hari's face, I'm showered in hugs and kisses, I cuddle my boys in my arms, and I know without a moment's hesitation that I'm home.  Hari once, many years ago, told me that home is where the heart is.  And that no matter where we are, if we're together then we're home.  At the time I thought it was just a stupid saying.  It took me a long time to truly understand the wisdom of that (admittedly trite) statement, but he was right.  I don't care if I'm in New Jersey, Florida, or Timbuktu... if I have my three boys (and Sydney) then that's all that matters.  Period.

Comments

Popular Posts