In Denial

When guilty of any offense Colin is the first to rat himself out.  If he doesn't outright confess (which he often does) he either gets the complete look of panic (OH CRAP - I GOT CAUGHT!!!) or just hangs his head in an obvious acknowledgement of guilt.  He's always been this way, and I know he just doesn't try and get away with anything.

Ryan is a little different.

Instead of admitting guilt, he over-exaggeratedly pronounces, with utter clarity, "I did not do that!" with a tone of incredulity.  Clearly shocked that anyone could think he would do such a thing.

The other day was a perfect example. 

It was morning, and we were upstairs after breakfast.  Hari and I were trying to get the boys dressed, which is a feat akin to wrestling eels on crack.  If you somehow manage to get the boys out of their pajamas they then will slither away and you'll see a tiny naked bottom scampering into the other room or under the crib.  Probably accompanied by giggling or shouting.  From there the chase is on - try and grab a limb, corral and/or corner the child, make sure they've gone to the bathroom, then plead/cajole/threaten until they're dressed.

So we had Colin semi-focused on brushing his teeth but Ryan was running around, my little nudie.  And as I've had a terrible head-cold all week I was too foggy to realize this wasn't a good thing.  I eventually realized he was MIA and went to find him.  I walked into the boy's room and found him.  Buck naked, bent over at the waist by the window, examining the carpet at his feet.  The carpet that I could see looked a bit dark... like it was maybe wet.  DARN IT!

I walked up to him, and the conversation went like this:

Me: "Ryan, did you go pee-pee on the floor?"
Ryan: "I did not do that!"
Me: "Ryan, you went pee-pee on the floor!  Where should you go pee-pee???"
Ryan (starting to sob) "I did not do that!"
Me (silently carrying Ryan into the bathroom to put him on the toilet)
Ryan (continued sobbing) "I did not do that! I did not do that! I did not do that! I did not do that!"

I managed to keep a stern face through his futile denial, but just barely.

Comments

Popular Posts