My Little Vampire

Colin doesn't like to go to bed.  There's no two ways about it, he simply doesn't.  Bedtime is a fight every single night.  Ryan is different - you tell him it is bedtime and he just heads upstairs.  And once I turn the lights out (or sometimes before) he just pops his two fingers into his mouth and snuggles in to go to sleep.

Colin fights it.  It doesn't matter how exhausted he is, what insane level of activity he had during the day... if he isn't already asleep when you lay him in bed you can count on at least 30 minutes... and sometimes more than an hour of delay.  How exactly does a toddler delay falling asleep?

  1. Play with mom's hair.
    This technique alone can keep him up for an hour... he has different things he does, depending on his mood, the phase of the moon, the day of the week... I have no idea what drives it, but he's actually demonstrated and instructed Hari on this before, so there is some sort of insane method to his madness.
  2. Wiggle.
  3. Rearrange the covers because they are too high, too low, too much, too little, or perhaps you just don't want any.
  4. Ask for water.
  5. Wiggle.
  6. Ask interesting questions. 
    No joke.  He will come up with some crazily insightful question, often about something from a long time ago, and try to engage me in conversation.
  7. Ask for water again.
  8. Wiggle.
  9. Ask more questions.
  10. Talk about how much you miss daddy (if he isn't home yet) or ask why daddy is downstairs.
  11. Comment on the airplane that just flew by outside
And the list goes on... and on... and on!

Last night was a classic, though.  Hari was home and Colin was using #6 on him... and poor Hari was falling for it.  Answering questions and engaging in what was a sincerely interesting conversation.  (Sucker!)  My attempts to shush the conversation were initially ignored, and this is what Colin said:

Daddy, when it is nighttime I don't go to bed.  And when it is morning I am tired, and I go to bed.  For real.  Because in the morning, that's when I'm tired.  That's what happens.  Really.  Then I sleep all day, 'cause that's when I'm tired.

So apparently I'm raising a vampire.  At least he doesn't sparkle!

Comments

Popular Posts