In The Moment

This past weekend I made a conscious effort to be "in the moment" with the kids.  It is something I've heard in yoga classes for years, and I finally tried it.

When Colin woke up from his nap on Saturday, I didn't let him turn on the TV or listen to music.  I didn't let him play with toys while I checked my phone for "important" emails from work or a critical Facebook update.  Instead we snuggled and played with each other while Ryan finished his nap.  We sat on the floor and gave Sydney belly-rubs and doggy-hugs.  Colin played with my hair.  We had a tickle-fest.  We laughed at nothing and anything.  And eventually when Ryan woke up we both went in and gave him hugs and let him wake up slowly, his hand alternately on my and Colin's bellies, two fingers jammed in his mouth.

And it was abso-freakin-loutely FABULOUS!  I'm half tempted to turn my phone off every weekend from now on, or perhaps lock it in the car and just forget about it until Monday morning.

Comments

Popular Posts